Monday, March 12, 2012

Jaascin assumed that she was like a lady-in-waiting, possibly a daughter of a minor noble. Kind of a friend and companion for the Princess, but of much lower rank.

Then she added, “I am very glad you came. The princess is a very close friend. I have missed her very much. It is very painful to see her as she is.” She added, “The young women who attended you were surprised to see scars that would indicate you are also a swordsman.”

Jaascin looked at her for a moment as if in deep thought. Although she carried herself with much more confidence and poise than the young women who drew his bath, he still thought she must be a type of companion for the princess. This really was of little consequence to Jaascin. He treated everyone the same.

In a very serious tone he told her, “I cannot guarantee that what I am doing will cure her. I can promise I will do my best. It was also painful to me to see someone like her in that condition. But to explain the scars, I have of necessity learned to use many weapons. However, I am not a professional man of arms.” Then he added with a smile and in a light, humorous tone, “That is not to say I have not fought a few battles and survived.”

The young woman smiled at Jaascin’s light dismissal of the scars. “I am sure you will do every thing you can do to bring her back to us.” With that pronouncement she indicated Jaascin should follow her. She did not seem surprised he knew how to defend himself.

She led him through the halls to a large room where a table was set. A place was indicated, for him, near the head of the table. Instead of bowing to the Prince and Princess and leaving the room, the young woman sat down beside him. Jaascin had a look of surprise on his face. He had apparently misjudged the status of this young woman.

The Prince and his wife greeted him warmly and introduced him to the others around the table. The mage was also there. The young woman was introduced as a niece of the Prince. The young woman smiled at Jaascin, as he looked confusedly apologetic. He knew she caught his look of surprise when she sat down beside him. She knew he assumed she was a kind of lady-in-waiting to the Princess, not a cousin.

“We are very happy that you were found and brought to us. We had exhausted all our other ideas. We were at our wit’s end. We were almost giving up hope,” the Princess told Jaascin.

“We are not sure that we have effected a cure yet, although the signs are promising,” Jaascin said, sounding hopeful, yet not too hopeful. He really did not know, if what he was doing, would produce a cure. He could not remember how long it might take. “As I said, it might take several weeks.”

“You will leave us special instructions as to what we might do, when you leave?” the Prince asked.

Jaascin looked very surprised. “Unless you are planning to drive me out, I am not planning to leave until I am sure I have been successful,” he said very positively. Actually he had no intention of leaving before he was sure the woman was cured. He wanted to know if what he was doing really worked. It had not occurred to him to worry about his fate if he could not cure the princess. He was concentrating on doing everything he could to bring about a cure.

The mage looked at Jaascin with a smile. “You are willing to risk the possibility of failure while you are still in our power?’

Jaascin looked at him. Thought for a moment. Then he answered lightly with a smile, “As I believe I said before, I have been in far greater danger before. I am still alive, although possibly scarred. I do not believe in leaving something half done, if there is anyway I can avoid that.” Then Jaascin changed to a more serious and a thoughtful tone. “There is something we need to consider. It has been said in many learned circles, that in cases such as this, the first person seen by the person awaking from such a state, becomes the object of strong affection.”

The mother of the young woman looked startled. “Do you mean that the first person our daughter sees when she regains consciousness may be the person she falls in love with?”

“I am not absolutely sure of the phenomenon. I believe it has been documented in several cases,” Jaascin said. “It may be something that should be kept in mind as your daughter’s recovery progresses.”

The Prince looked at Jaascin and said, “You knew you could have said nothing. Then made sure our daughter would see you first. That would have easily been accomplished without anyone suspecting anything.”

Jaascin shrugged and smiled, “Although it would have been wonderful to have a beautiful, highborn, Elven princess fall in love with me,” Jaascin admitted, “it would be an awful thing to do to her. Not only am I not an Elf, but by my own admission, my background is questionable.” Then he added, “Someone obviously as beautiful as your daughter is deserving of a far better fate.”

Everyone laughed at the light tone in which Jaascin said that.

The mother of the young woman looked at Jaascin with a smile. “It seems that you are not only a learned man, but a man of high honor.”

“In this matter, I will admit to a sense of honor,” Jaascin replied with another slight shrug and a smile.

The young woman sitting next to him, with a smile on her face leaned over and softly said, “In other things you would not wish to promise being a man of high honor?”

Jaascin smiled at her and said nothing. He did not think it an appropriate time to consider her meaning in this. She was, he had to admit, a very attractive and charming woman. One whom it was proving very pleasant, to be around. However, he was not sure of her standing, except that she was a niece of the Prince and Princess.

“You have not set a price on your services, even knowing this thing you are doing is of utmost importance to us,” the Prince said.

“I have not yet accomplished that which you desire. Until that time, my services are of no great worth. Should I accomplish that which I also hope to accomplish, my wishes are relatively simple and I am sure can be easily met,” Jaascin assured the Prince making it sound like he did not consider that of great importance. Jaascin was sure that the Prince and Princess would place a very high value on the curing of their daughter.

The mage looked at Jaascin. “If that is true, then you are truly a learned man.”

Jaascin smiled across at the mage, “It is very kind of you to attribute great knowledge to me. I do not claim to be a true learned man. It is true I have sat at the feet of some great scholars and wise men. I have accumulated some knowledge. However, I have much to learn. That is why I travel. This way, in time, I may accumulate great knowledge.” Then still with a smile he added, “However, I am aware that with this type of life, I will never accumulate great wealth.”

The young woman looked at Jaascin with a speculative glance, “It would seem that wealth is not of great importance to you.”

Jaascin smiled back at her, “That would not be an entirely valid assumption. Wealth, I am aware, can bring the finer things. I actually like, fine things and fine living. That is an enigma I have yet to solve.”

The Princess looked at Jaascin with a look of understanding, “So you will enjoy the finer things when you can. Then you will put up with more simple fare when you must. But the pursuit of knowledge is still of greater importance.”

“My Lady,” said Jaascin, with a bow in her direction, “I often feel that I am the enigma.” Then he added lightly, “but that is something I have never seen it necessary to worry about. I also feel that life is to be enjoyed whenever that is possible.”

The Princess laughed lightly. “At least you are proving to be an interesting and charming enigma.”

The dinner was enjoyable to Jaascin. Not only was the food wonderful, and the company and conversation very enjoyable, but he had a very attractive woman by his side. She had been very charming throughout the whole evening.

She walked beside him as they left the room. As they reached the hall, Jaascin turned to her and with a bow in a very apologetic tone said, “I must offer my most humble apologies. You must have thought me awful to have made such a mistake to assume you were somewhat like a servant.”

With a very sweet but beguiling smile, the young woman said, “I am not sure that I am going to accept your apology.” She did not seem at all angry at him for this mistaken assumption. She seemed to treat it lightly with humor, as if she were really amused at his mistake.

“You mean you have a much greater penance in mind you will require of me?” Jaascin asked.

“I think it would be only fitting. However, I have not yet decided on what that penance may be.” Then she added with a very lovely smile, “but I will devote much serious thought to that problem and try to come up with an appropriate penance I will require of you.”

Jaascin just shook his head. “My fate seems to hang on the whim of a very beautiful and charming lady.” However he did not seem overly worried, or fearful of that prospect. She did not sound as if she intended to make trouble for him, rather that she was gently tweaking him.

The two of them walked to the room where the daughter lay. As they entered, they caught a small movement by the figure on the bed.

“She has been moving a little every few minutes for the past hour,” the woman seated by the bedside said. “She whimpers with each movement. It is just a whimper, not a cry of pain.”

“That is a very good sign,” Jaascin commented, becoming the serious healer again. “She may quit for a while and then the movements may begin again.”

“Will she be able to sit up in a few days?” the young woman asked hopefully.

Jaascin turned to her with a serious look on his face. “I’m afraid progress will not be that fast. She will gain movement only slowly for a while. Then it will slowly increase so that the progress will be readily noticeable,” Jaascin told her. “Let us not be rushing this. It will be best for her if the progress is relatively slow but sure.” He was not chiding her only pointing out that she needed to be patient.

“I’m sorry,” said the woman penitently, “I am just so anxious to see her as she was before.”

“You particularly will have to show great patience,” Jaascin told her very seriously. “She will need your support and encouragement once she gets to a certain point. She will want to do things before she is ready to do them. You must counsel her patience.” The young woman nodded her understanding. They left the room and started walking toward Jaascin’s room.

As they continued on their way the young woman, whom Jaascin had learned was called Cyrellai, with a mischievous smile on her face said, “The maidens, who will be attending you while you are here, have been chosen for their beauty.”

Jaascin smiled at her obvious meaning. “Nevertheless, I have no intention of seducing these young ladies. I would deem it unfair.” He was aware that they were possibly chosen for their beauty, but he thought it best he not look on them as subjects for conquest. He had not forgotten, his reason for coming was really to gain permission to traverse the forest to its northern boundaries. He did not want to do anything that would endanger that purpose.

“In this case, it would not be looked upon as seduction. In addition, some might class you as somewhat handsome. Besides, they all willing volunteered to attend you,” Cyrellai told him, still with that mischievous smile on her face.

“Are you saying that it would be considered part of their responsibility, or that I would be held blameless.”

“No I would not say that would be part of their responsibility, but that is a possibility they should have recognized when they volunteered,” Cyrellai replied watching Jaascin as she spoke.

Jaascin smiled, “Although it would undoubtedly be very enjoyable, I still do not consider it honorable. I still see it as taking an unfair advantage.” He thought his best plan was to appear to be a very honorable man. He thought that would be to his greatest advantage. He was a guest in their land. He did not want to give into temptation and thereby cause problems for himself. Here in the forest, there was no place to which he could run.

“You mean because they have been given the responsibility to attend you and would therefore be vulnerable.”

Jaascin nodded his head and then continued, “Answer me honestly. Would they deem it possible to reject my advances, or would they expect to suffer what I asked of them.”

“You ask hard questions, Jaascin. In honesty, I must say they would not think they had the right to reject you. However, I must add they would most likely not see it as suffering.”

Jaascin laughed. “It seems you attribute great attraction to me. I have never deemed that so, as far as attractive young women were concerned.”

Cyrellai cocked her head at him. “Have you ever thought to inquire of an attractive young woman. I have found you, charming, attractive and intriguing.”

Jaascin looked at her with a smile on his face. He decided to test her out and try to determine her line of thinking in this conversation. “Careful young lady. I would not consider it taking an unfair advantage to try to seduce you. You are far too intelligent. Of course I am assuming that you have taken me under your wing because you wanted to do so, not because someone required you to do so.”

Cyrellai cocked her head to the other side as she looked at Jaascin with an egnimatic smile. “You are correct that I am with you because I wanted to be with you. I am interested to learn what manner of man you are, and what makes you tick. You are proving to be like no other man I have ever known. Therefore you are intriguing.”

“I will be happy to be of whatever assistance I can be in your research,” Jaascin told her. He would let her know that he found her very attractive, but that her wishes would be paramount.

Cyrellai left him at his door. “I shall see you tomorrow,” she told him, and continued down the corridor of the palace.

Jaascin watch her go. She was a very attractive and charming young woman. His stay here might prove very enjoyable. Then he opened the door and entered his room. His bath was ready for him and night attire was laid out on his bed. He was really being treated like a royal guest. He might have trouble carrying through his promise regarding these attractive young women who bathed him. He immediately put that thought out of his mind. He did not wish to do anything that might possibly spoil his stay in the Elven forest. Things were going far too well so far.

The next morning he awoke early. He again took a book out of his bags and began to read. Sometime later, there was a knock on his door. He said, “Come in.”

The door opened and Cyrellai came in with the maidens following her in. She smiled at Jaascin. “I hope you had a restful sleep.” The maidens began drawing his bath.

“I had a most wonderful sleep, and most wonderful dreams,” Jaascin answered.

“Good,” said Cyrellai, “I will leave you to your bath. I will return shortly after I am informed it is over. I will then take you to breakfast. We will be dining with some younger members of the court, this morning. However the Prince and Princess would like you to join them again for dinner tonight.” It was apparent they were making sure his stay here would be as enjoyable as possible. He saw nothing wrong in that. He would enjoy this to its fullest. He did not think it would last beyond the time it took to cure the Princess. He figured they would give him what he requested and then send him on his way.

As promised, Cyrellai returned to take him to breakfast. He had another splendid outfit laid out for him this morning. His old clothes had been returned, cleaned and folded. His boots looked much better than they had for quite a while.

This time she waited outside of his door. He had a strong desire to take her in his arms and kiss her. He resisted. Things were going very well. He did not want to do anything to upset any one in the palace. He had not yet figured her out. Instead he offered her his arm which she took with a lovely smile.

They made a stop on the way to look in on the patient. She seemed a little more relaxed than the night before. The cure was still working as expected. This afternoon, Jaascin would again repeat the treatment of the first day. He remembered that was what the mystic had done. He was trying to do everything exactly as he remembered it being done before. He now remembered the cure that time was successful. He was hoping it would prove successful this time also.

As they left the room, Jaascin looked over at this very attractive young woman at his side. “You know you are spoiling me completely. I get the impression that you are treating me as you would a member of your nobility.”

Cyrellai gave him a sly smile. “Much better,” she replied.

Jaascin laughed. “You mean a member of nobility would not get such an attractive guide to watch over him.”

Cyrellai just smiled and continued to steer him through the corridors of the palace. It was obvious she was at home here and very confident in her place. She came to an airy room whose large windows looked out on a beautiful garden. A number of young people were already gathered around the table.

Cyrellai introduced him as Sir Jaascin Wanilain. She said he was a very learned scholar, mage and healer from the East. The young people looked him over with interest. The young women were especially interested. Jaascin realized that Cyrellai was a little older than most of them. They treated her with great respect, and it seemed that she was well liked. Jaascin found he was not surprised at this. He also got the impression that Cyrellai was a rank above most if not all of them. Her parents were obviously powerful Elven nobles, possibly another Prince and Princess.

During the breakfast, Jaascin was asked many questions about the lands he had seen in his travels. Jaascin was able to weave some wonderful, although entirely believable tales about his travels and what he had seen. He also spun some interesting tales about the scholars at whose feet he sat. Some were known to the Elves. Cyrellai sat eating, listening and watching Jaascin. She realized he seemed completely relaxed, yet she got the feeling that he didn’t miss a thing that was going on.

After breakfast, they took their leave of the group. Cyrellai asked Jaascin if he would like to wander through the gardens. Jaascin immediately agreed. He was happy to find it would only be the two of them.

As they began to wander the garden paths, Jaascin turned to Cyrellai. “It seems my penance has grown even greater.”

Cyrellai looked at him questioningly.

Jaascin continued, “It was obvious that you enjoy an even higher rank than most if not all of those young people. I now get the impression that your father is at least equal in rank to the Prince. I seemed to have again been presumptive in my facetious remark that I would not feel it would be unfair to try to seduce you.”

Cyrellai had a dangerously beguiling smile on her face. “I don’t think for a moment that you meant that remark to be facetious. I think you meant every word of it. And to answer your question, my father is the Prince of the northern area of our land. To some that would make him somewhat more powerful. However the Prince and my father are very, very good friends.”

Jaascin rolled his eyes skyward in horror.

Cyrellai began to laugh. “Does that mean that you hoped to travel through our lands to the north?”

“I was hoping to get permission to do that. I want to reach the lands of the Kingdom to the north of your lands,” Jaascin admitted. “I am seeking a friend who went that way several years ago.”

“Was that going to be one of your requests you said could easily be met? What were the others?” Cyrellai asked looking intently at Jaascin now.

“I was hoping to acquire two of your vaunted Elven horses so I would be able to change off horses and use the others to carry my possessions.”

“Are you not planning to ask for some gold and jewels?” asked Cyrellai.

“I had hoped to be offered a small amount of gold so I could afford to stay at some of the better inns as I traveled,” Jaascin admitted. Then he added with a smile, “I’m getting accustomed to fine accommodations and fine food. It would be nice if I were able to continue to enjoy that for a while after I leave this forest.”

Cyrellai looked at him interestedly, “I am sure the life of the Princess would command much more in reward than a small amount of gold.”

Jaascin spread his hands, “I would be more than willing to leave that up to the Prince. I am not greedy.” Then Jaascin smiled, “Especially after how I am being spoiled during my stay here.”

“You really are not at all demanding. In fact you are not even taking advantage of all the possibilities.” Cyrellai said with a sly smile.

“If you mean the young ladies who attend me, I have already given my reasons.”

“I wasn’t only referring to them,” replied Cyrellai raising her eyebrows at Jaascin.

“Careful, young lady, I already warned you once. You are very attractive and very charming. I may not be able to resist much longer. Especially if you continue to be my guide.”

Cyrellai smiled thoughtfully and then changed the direction of the conversation. “Those were wonderful fables you spun about your travels and the exotic places you have visited.”

“You are not sure you believe my tales?” Jaascin asked, trying to sound hurt by her doubting his truthfulness.

“Oh, I am sure there was some truth in all of them. However I would not be willing to accept them all at face value,” was Cyrellai’s reply.

“You wound me deeply,” said Jaascin trying to sound deeply wounded but not succeeding very well. Cyrellai laughed rather delightedly, then leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

She looked sideways at him, raised her eyebrows and said, “I am beginning to like you. However, that does not mean any less of a penance will be demanded of you.”

“I am awaiting my fate, beautiful lady.”

Cyrellai laughed, “You know you do have the manners of a noble. As far as your background is concerned, I am not sure I want to demand the truth from you. I suspect I may rather accept what tale you might want to spin.”

“I do not and never have, claimed to be of noble birth. Nor do I claim to you that all my past actions have been above reproach. The rest you will have to take on faith. One other thing I will swear, and that is that I will never knowingly do anything that will in anyway harm you.”

Cyrellai looked at him thoughtfully. “I never had any doubt of that. I do think that you are really more honorable than you are willing to claim.” Then she got a sly smile on her face, “As far as seduction is concerned, how do you know I might not be the seducer.”

Jaascin looked at her, “You are a very surprising young woman. I am never quite sure how I should take you. I would say you definitely are not a traditional type Elven princess. At least as far my experience goes. Which is non-existent, as far as Elven princesses are concerned. I will say I am enjoying your company very much.”

“In other words, that I am not typical and am surprising does nothing to decrease your enjoyment of my company.”

“On the contrary,” Jaascin replied, “rather it increases it.”

Cyrellai took Jaascin on a complete tour of the gardens. They then returned to the room where the young woman was laying. The mage was there.

“It seems she is continuing to slowly relax and become less rigid,” the mage said to Jaascin.

“Good. Everything seems to be progressing as it should,” Jaascin told the mage. He continued to be very thoughtful in any of his discussions of the young lady’s condition. He knew it gave him a more serious mien and would make him look more knowledgeable.

“Later today I will repeat the treatment I first used. That will continue the progress and possibly slightly increase the speed of her recovery.” Then turning to the woman seated beside the bed Jaascin said, “Get word to me the minute she begins to open her eyes. We must make sure her eyes are protected for several days after that.” He said it not as an order but as a request.

Then the mage asked with a smile, “And when will it be that we should have the right person available for her to see.” Apparently the Prince had told the mage what Jaascin had said regarding this.

Jaascin smiled then thoughtfully replied, “The morning of the third day after she first opens her eyes. That should begin the critical time. Hopefully that person will be patient. I would not presume to predict the exact time of the phenomena, if it truly does occur. If it is to occur, however, it will be sometime that morning.” The mage nodded his head in understanding. He did not question Jaascin’s knowledge of the situation. Jaascin had indicated that this would be a necessary precaution in case this phenomenon was really true.

After checking the young woman, Jaascin and Cyrellai left the room. They headed in the direction of Jaascin’s room. As they walked down the corridor, Cyrellai turned to Jaascin and in an innocent voice asked, “And who do you see when you awake in the morning?”

“A vision of a beautiful although wayward Elven princess,” Jaascin immediately answered with a smile. He knew that was the answer she wished to hear.

He got a lovely smile in return. “And who might that be, I wonder,” Cyrellai mused.

Cyrellai left him at the door to his room and continued down the palace corridor. Jaascin thoughtfully watched her for a moment, then entered his room. He found another of his books, seated himself in a chair beside a window and began to read. After a lunch, which was to be served to him in his room, Cyrellai promised to take him for a ride out into the forest. They would return in time for Jaascin to treat the patient again and then they were to join the Prince and his family for dinner.

Chapter Two

The ride was a very pleasant one through a beautiful forest. Jaascin carefully noted where they went and asked questions of Cyrellai as they rode. He not only filed away in his mind, what he saw, but also her answers to his questions. He might need this information in the future. He marveled at the beauty of this forest. He had been in many forests in his years of wandering. He had never seen any so beautiful or so peaceful. Even in the shade, there was a silvery light that seemed to dispel any deep shadows. He vaguely remembered being in an Elven Forest before. He was so young at that time, he remembered very little of its beauty.

To Cyrellai, he seemed perfectly relaxed and just enjoying the ride. They saw many animals and beautiful birds during their ride. They returned in time for Jaascin to treat the young woman again. Cyrellai assisted him along with the mage and the girl’s mother.

Jaascin returned to his room for a short time after which Cyrellai came to take him to have dinner with the Prince and Princess. Jaascin inwardly smiled at how he was being treated. He had never been treated quite like this before.

Jaascin was again seated near the head of the table with Cyrellai beside him. Jaascin was asked about some of the countries he had visited. His descriptions were detailed discussions of the customs of the country and something about the people who lived there. Jaascin enjoyed doing this and was an expert at playing to his audience. He had become a great storyteller.

During the dinner, when there was a lull in the conversation, Jaascin leaned over to Cyrellai and quietly said, “I could grow used to this.”

Cyrellai looked at Jaascin and quietly asked, “You mean dining with the Prince?”

“No,” answered Jaascin, with a shake of his head, “I mean dining with you beside me.” Cyrellai just gave him a lovely smile but said nothing. Jaascin wasn’t sure how she interpreted that statement, although she seemed obviously pleased.

The next morning, Jaascin and Cyrellai again had breakfast with the younger members of the court. They then spent the morning wandering through the city. It was fascinating to Jaascin to see how this Elven city, was different from, yet similar to other cities he had visited. It looked like it had been just fresh washed with rain, but no water stood in puddles. Everywhere grew the beautiful silvery trees and flowers. It was a wonderfully cheerful sight.

They stopped at an inn to have lunch. It was one Cyrellai was very familiar with. Several friends of Cyrellai were also dining there. She again introduced Jaascin as Sir Jaascin Wanilain, a learned scholar, mage and healer from the east. She said it, of course, as if he was a very important scholar, mage and healer. He was looked over with great interest. Stories of this mysterious man had circulated through the city. However, she saw to it that they dined alone.

After they returned and Jaascin looked in on the patient, Jaascin retired to his room. He had been reading for several hours when there was a knock on his door. An Elf informed him that the young woman had briefly opened her eyes. It was a very slow movement.

Jaascin immediately went to the room. He checked her over and then sat down beside the bed. A little while later, her eyes flickered open a fraction again, then slowly closed. Jaascin turned to the Elf standing there and asked him something. The Elf’s reply seemed to satisfy Jaascin and he said something to him. The Elf immediately left the room.

Jaascin then noticed the Cyrellai was standing in the room. She smiled at him. He smiled back.

“I have asked for some light cloth with which we can protect her eyes. I was told they have some almost transparent cloth that might do. If that is true, it would be perfect. We could then protect her eyes, yet be able to observe how far and how quickly she can open them.”

“Then the morning of the second day we must have the right person to greet her when she opens her eyes that morning,” Cyrellai questioned.

“And have that person in position all morning to be absolutely sure,” Jaascin added. He was still not positive, if that phenomenon would occur, or exactly when, if it did. However, he felt it best not to take a chance in case it proved to be true. Besides the Prince and Princess thought highly of him because he was insisting that this should be done.

“Tonight I will make sure that everything will be ready,” Cyrellai told him.

The cloth was brought into the room and Jaascin inspected it. It would serve very well. He cut several pieces from the cloth, then removing the covering from the table, created sorcerer’s fire in the dish on the table. He took four of the pieces of cloth and waved them over the fire. The flame seemed to rise to just touch the cloth. This made the cloth even more transparent as well as a better protection for the young woman’s eyes. He handed them to the woman seated beside the bed and gave her very specific instructions. When Jaascin looked up, he noticed the mother was standing watching and listening to him.

“She is making progress?” she asked.

“She seems to be making good progress,” agreed Jaascin, sounding cautiously hopeful. “This is as it should be. I am becoming very hopeful.”

“We would like you to know that we would be very pleased to have you stay with us for a while after our daughter is cured,” she told Jaascin. Jaascin was momentarily surprised, but pleased at this. He would then be able to enjoy this luxury for a while longer.

Jaascin smiled his thanks. “I will think on your very kind invitation,” Jaascin told her. Jaascin thought he might take her up on that invitation. He really was not in a great hurry to continue his trek northward. He had never lived in this kind of luxury before. He found he rather enjoyed it. He really did not know exactly where he was going. He only had a general idea of where his friend might be. He was sure he would not enjoy this type of luxury after he left the forest.

After checking on the young woman again, Jaascin left the room. Cyrellai followed him out. She started walking with him back toward his room.

“I would be pleased if you stayed for a while.”

“Are you sure that would be in your best interests. I would not have a patient to command my attention. I might easily become overly attentive to you.”

“That would cause no problem for me, that I can think of,” Cyrellia assured him. “We are not talking about a long time. Then we can bid each other a fond goodbye. You will be allowed to return when your wanderings bring you back this way.”

“You are saying that I will be allowed to return and enter your land.”

“I know that privilege will be provided to you when you leave,” Cyrellia stated.

“Are you also saying that you would welcome my return?”

“I am sure that is a very good possibility,” she answered with a smile.

Jaascin returned to his room to do some more reading from the books he had brought with him. He was trying to refresh his memories on the arts of the sorcerers, mages and healers. If used right, he knew he could use these powers so he could continue to travel in relative comfort most of the time. He was sure he would have the money to stay at the better Inns when he left the forest. He also would have the clothes to make him look like he might be a noble. It might also bring him into contact with other women as interesting as Cyrellai.

As he walked through the corridors of the palace, it was obvious the mood had changed in the palace. When he first came, the Elven music heard throughout the corridors had been dark and sad. Now it was beginning to resume its beautiful silvery peal, like tiny bells floating airily through the corridors. Jaascin marveled at this music. It seemed to come from everywhere.

That evening Cyrellai was going to take him on a tour of this Elven city at night. They planned to dine at an inn where Cyrellai said all kinds of interesting people gathered.

It proved to be a very interesting evening. One, that provided Jaascin with much very valuable information. He was becoming fluent in the Elven language. Cyrellai noted he had the facility to direct the conversation. She marveled at how easily he seemed to do this. He was able to do this without anyone suspecting what he was doing.

They did not get back into the palace until very, very late. He did not wake up until later in the morning. He was served breakfast in his room. He went to check on his patient. He was told that she had again started to open her eyes this morning. She was becoming much less rigid and had even begun to move her fingers. Jaascin examined the young woman and observed her for a while. He also talked to the women who had been with her.

He then left the room. He decided to walk out in the garden to think. Cyrellai kept impinging on his thoughts. If only she weren’t an Elf and a Princess. For someone like her, he might just consider settling down. She was an unusual person. He did not remember encountering anyone quite like her before in his travels. Of course he had never been in quite this same situation before.

As he started to walk into the garden, a voice startled him out of his reverie. “Are you fleeing from me?”

He turned to see Cyrellai coming toward him. She was in a beautiful flowing gown. Jaascin realized she was not just attractive, she was actually very beautiful. She had a very lovely smile on her lips.

With a bow to her, Jaascin said, “You are especially attractive this morning.” Then he added in answer to her question, “I could never flee from you. You keep cropping up in my thoughts.”

“Is that good or bad?”

“I have never thought of it in that way. I do not find myself unhappy about that situation. You are very easy to look at and very enjoyable to be with.”

Cyrellai smiled at Jaascin as she came up to him, “You have the talents of a very good diplomat, the knowledge of a scholar, and the charm of a courtier. You could be very dangerous. Especially if you are also good with those swords and daggers you carry in your baggage.”

Jaascin eyes showed alarm and he became very serious, “Never, ever touch them. They are cursed. The jewels in the handles are very beautiful, but very deadly. No one can use them but me. They were given to me by a very, very powerful sorcerer. He warned me that anyone else who touched them could die a horrible death.”

Cyrellia was apologetic. “I did not see them. The mage told me you had them. He also told me that no one was to touch them. He knew, they had an energy of their own. He also said, you had given him a friendly warning that anyone touching them would be badly hurt. He said you did not want that to happen.”

Jaascin relaxed. “I am sorry I reacted so strongly. I did not want you hurt.” He was about to go on, but changed his mind. He decided to say more at the moment would be a mistake. She was an Elven Princess and he would be gone as soon as the young woman was cured and he could get the things he needed to continue on his trek.

Luckily, Cyrellai changed the subject. “I have arranged so that the right person will be there for the Princess to see when she opens her eyes in the morning.” Then a thought struck her, “How will we know she has seen him?”

Jaascin was in serious thought for a few minutes. He tried to remember what he had heard about other times this phenomenon had reportedly occurred.

“She will try to utter his name. It will be a slow struggle for her. It will be the first words she will speak.” He said this all slowly, hesitating between each sentence, as if bringing it up from the depths of his mind.

Cyrellai looked intently at Jaascin as he spoke. How does he know these things she thought. He has been right each time so far. He is a very intriguing and very mysterious man. But he does not act mysterious. And he claims not to be. He seems not to know how much knowledge and power he has. Or he claims not to know. The Elves that first saw him said he did not claim to be either a healer or a sorcerer. He just said he might be able to help without claiming any special powers. But he had the powers of both a sorcerer and a healer. The mage was sure Jaascin has both great knowledge and great power. He did not think Jaascin realized what great power he really had. The mage did not think that was important to Jaascin. This made Jaascin even more intriguing to Cyrellai. She knew of no other man like him. Most men wanted everyone to know if they had great power.

Cyrellai slipped her arm through Jaascin’s. Then she gently steered him into a bower in the center of the park and to a bench almost entirely surrounded by a tall hedge. She sat down and patted the place beside her.

“My aunt thinks you are part elf. In your stories, you briefly mentioned your father, but never your mother.”

Jaascin was silent for a minute before answering.

“I never knew my mother. She died when I was born, according to my father. He never told me anything about her.” Jaascin told her. There was a note of sorrow in his voice. “He never mentioned anything about any other family. It was only the two of us. He died when I was about ten. I was on my own from then on.”

“And that is why you wander?”

Jaascin’s face lit up in a small smile. “That is one of my best excuses,” he said. Cyrellai smiled. He refused to be pinned down. She wondered what secrets there were in his past. What beautiful and exotic women had he made love with? Although he professed to be only a common wanderer, he had the natural charm of a courtier. He had the polished manners of a very educated noble. Although he looked rough-hewn when he first came, he had the instinctive manners of a gentleman.

Her aunt was right in her evaluation. He was a very honorable man. But he had the wariness of a man who faced great danger. She wondered if he was dangerous to know, and if so how dangerous. Cyrellai was becoming very intrigued with this mystery man. Even in his stories about his travels, he had revealed practically nothing about himself. That he had traveled widely, she was sure was true. That he sat at the feet of great scholars, and learned much from them, she was sure was also true. That he was highly intelligent and a very good student was obvious. He had proven that in the short time he had been here attending the Princess.

They sat and talked about the Princess lying on the bed upstairs. Cyrellai told Jaascin some things about her. She also told him about her people, the Elves, and their land, which many, felt was enchanted. Jaascin knew some of this. There was apparently a King. The Princes, like Cyrellai’s father had responsibility over certain areas of the forest. They were a very prosperous and well-ruled people.

They joined a group of young people for lunch and then they returned to look in on the patient. Jaascin told the persons in the room that he was now sure that tomorrow morning she would begin to recognize people and try to speak. This news raised everyone’s hopes. It would be a big step in her recovery. Everyone now was sure that she would be completely cured.

When Jaascin and Cyrellai left the room, Cyrellai asked, “How do you know this. You do speak as if you know this is true.”

“I do know it,” Jaascin answered positively. “I cannot explain how I know it, but I am positive I am right. You will have to trust me.”

Cyrellai smiled, “I do trust you, but I don’t know why. I cannot bring myself not to trust you.”

Jaascin got very serious. “That is very dangerous. You know very little about me. All you know is that I have somehow been able to begin to cure a good friend, to whom you are obviously very close. You could be thinking with your heart and not your mind.”

“And if you feel it could be dangerous, why are you warning me?”

“Because I have begun to like you very much. I do not want you to get hurt in any way.”

Cyrellai looked intently at Jaascin. Then with a smile she said, “We will continue this discussion later.” Then she turned and walked away. Jaascin watched her go and then continued on to his room.

He found one of his books and began studying it. One of the sons of the Prince came to take him to dinner. Cyrellai was not present. Jaascin wondered if he had done something to offend her. He did not think he had. He didn’t remember her being anything but friendly. He realized he missed her. After dinner, he returned to his room to again read from his books. Later the young women came as usual and drew his bath. They quickly dried him and then disappeared.

He turned toward the bed. Cyrellai was standing in front of him with a beguiling smile on her face. She let the garment she was wearing slip off of her and down to the floor. She was nude. Jaascin could not take his eyes off of her. She was beautiful.

“Your father will have my head,” was all he could say. Then he added with a smile, “But I will die happy.”

Cyrellai laughed as she moved into his arms and kissed him.

“You need not worry about that. I told my aunt I was going to seduce you. She just laughed and said I wondered when you would decide to do that.”

“Your father may not see it in the same light. He may feel I have destroyed your good name.”

Cyrellai shook her head. “We elves live for a very long time. We are allowed a trial or two to make sure we are compatible. I have not yet exercised that right.”

“But I am not an Elf,” Jaascin said.

“The mage said you are attuned to the Elven magic in our forest. Only someone with Elven blood in him would be able to do that. You speak the language like one of us, and your eyes are Elven. My aunt is positive.” Then with a beguiling smile she asked. “Are we going to stand around here all night discussing this. We can talk about this again in the morning.”

As they slipped into bed, Jaascin accused her, “You are not going to allow me to seduce you.”

As Cyrellai slipped into his arms and kissed him passionately, she said softly, “You already have.”

They slept late the next morning. Jaascin was reluctant to wake her. As he was looking at her she opened her eyes, smiled at him and said, “I am going to accompany you north to my parent’s house. I am going to introduce you to them before I allow you to go on your way. My mother and father will welcome you with open arms.”

“You mean with his hands around my neck.”

Cyrellai laughed as she slid out of bed. She reached back for his hand and pulled him out of bed and then led him to the bath. Jaasin looked horrified. The young women had been in to draw the bath while Cyrellai was in bed with him. Cyrellai laughed again.

“I wanted to establish my claim on you. What better way than to have your attendants see me in bed with you. Now come on. We will want to have breakfast before we look in on your patient. That will give her time to wake and look fondly upon her betrothed.”

Jaascin looked at her in disbelief. She seemed determined to have everyone know she spent the night with him. He then said, “Aren’t you betrothed also?”

Cyrellai smiled. “No,” she answered positively, “I have yet to find the one with whom I want to spend the rest of the my life.”

Jaascin smiled back at her. “When you do, please send me word so I will not return here and seek you out.”

“Oh I intend to keep you as my lover. I am entitled to have one, especially seeing as I will probably outlive you by many years.”

“I can see the bounty he will put on my head, if he thinks I will return to claim you for a while.”

“No Elf would ever do that because of who you are. He would be disgraced and banned from the forest. Especially as you will be guaranteed safe passage and hospitality for as long as you live. You forget, you saved a Princess from a fate worse than death.”

“And condemned another Princess to a fate worse than death.”

Cyrellai laughed. “You refuse to see it as we Elves do. You have done nothing wrong. I have done nothing wrong.”

They finished their bath. Then Jaascin noticed that new clothes had been laid out for Cyrellai also. He threw up his hands in helpless surrender. Cyrellai laughed rather delightedly at his actions. After dressing, Cyrellai led him toward the room where the Prince and his family would be eating.

As they came into the room, her aunt smiled at the two of them and said, “I hope you slept well. It is well that we looked in on our daughter briefly before we came to have breakfast. The two of you might have missed breakfast.”

Cyrellai smiled and said, “Then he would have had to put up with just me to plague him at breakfast.”

“A fate worse than death?” questioned the Prince with a smile.

“I am sure I could think of much worse fates than that,” said Jaascin keeping a solemn face and trying to sound thoughtful yet not totally sure.

“Your penance grows by leaps and bounds,” said Cyrellai with a toss of her head.

The Princess looked questioningly at them. It was Jaascin who enlightened her.

“I made some very wrong assumptions about Cyrellai when I first came. Cyrellai unfortunately was quick to realize this. I abjectly apologized, but she refused to accept my apologies, contending rather that she would inform me of the penance required at a later date. She has seen fit to merely continue to hint at dire penance’s to be required of me.”

“Cyrellai,” admonished her aunt but with a broad smile, “How could you treat him like that.”

“Well in the meantime I do give him the pleasure of my company,” Cyrellai protested.

Then her aunt, changing the direction of the conversation, looked at Jaascin and said, “You were right to warn us to make sure our daughter saw the right person when she awoke this morning. She slowly smiled when she saw her betrothed at the foot of the bed when she awoke. As you said, she tried hard to say his name, succeeding after a short time and quite a bit of effort. After that, the words seem to come more easily although still very slowly.”

“We don’t know how to adequately thank you for giving our daughter back to us,” the Prince added. “The King has said we should be sure and reward you adequately.”

Jaascin became thoughtful. “We have not yet totally cured your daughter, although I am now confident that it is only a matter of time. My requirements, as I have told Cyrellai, are relatively simple. First I would like

No comments:

Post a Comment