Wednesday, April 25, 2012


     “We don’t know how to adequately thank you for giving our daughter back to us,” the Prince added.  “The King has said we should be sure and reward you adequately.”
     Jaascin became thoughtful.  “We have not yet totally cured your daughter, although I am now confident that it is only a matter of time.  My requirements, as I have told Cyrellai, are relatively simple.  First I would like permission to cross your lands to reach the kingdom that lies to the north.  I am seeking a friend who is reported to have gone that way.  I would like two of your Elven horses so I could change mounts as I travel and have one to carry my possessions.”
     Then Cyrellai added,  “I asked him if he didn’t want any gold or jewels.  He admitted that a small bag of gold would be appreciated so that he could stay and eat at the better inns as he traveled.  I asked if he was sure he only wished a small bag.  He said that would be sufficient.”
     “And you did tell him we would think that poor recompense for what he has done.” stated the Prince.
     “Yes, I did.  He said he would be happy to leave that up to you, Uncle,” said Cyrellai. Then with a lovely smile she added,  “and I do think he really means it.”  Then she turned and looked rather lovingly at Jaascin.  “He does actually feel that would be sufficient.”
     Jaascin sat silent.  “It is enough to be able to see your daughter become again as you knew her.  And also to see Cyrellai’s happiness at having her good friend back again,” he quietly said.  Cyrellai leaned over and gave him a hug.
     “I have told him, when he leaves I intend to go north with him.  I plan to introduce him to my parents.  I hope to get him to agree to stay with us for a while before he continues on his travels north.  Then I will bid him goodbye at our northern borders.  I would hope the king would give Jaascin permission to return to our lands when he wishes.”
     Her aunt looked at Cyrellai.  “You would like him to come back from time to time?” she asked, but already knew the answer.  She knew Cyrellai had fallen in love with Jaascin, although Cyrellai knew Jaascin was truly a wanderer.
     “I am hoping he will return whenever his travels takes him near our land.  We can offer him safe haven and rest,” Cyrellai answered.  “I make no secret of that.”
     “If I am welcome, you will be a powerful lodestone to draw me back, Cyrellai,” Jaascin frankly admitted.
     The Prince smiled,  “I can assure you, you will be welcome whenever you care to return to this land of the Elves.”
     “You will always find a welcome here,” his wife added.  Then she said with a smile,  “You really are a charming enigma.”  She looked at Cyrellai before she continued,  “Perhaps our niece feels she can somehow solve that enigma.”
     Cyrellai smiled,  “At least I should have an enjoyable time trying.”  Jaascin smiled at her but said nothing. 
     After a moment he turned to the Prince and said,  “I assume it is safe for me to go in and see our patient after breakfast.”
     It was his wife who answered.  “Yes, I am sure it is perfectly safe for you to do so.”
     Later, as Jaascin started for the room where the girl lay, he turned to Cyrellai and said with a questioning smile,    
     “Were you making sure I did not change my mind and appear in the patient’s room early this morning?”
Cyrellia just smiled sweetly at him, but didn’t bother to answer.
     Jaascin continued,  “I assure you, even one Elven princess is more than I can handle.”
     When they entered the room, the young woman, in the bed, turned her eyes to see who entered the room.  Upon seeing Cyrellai, her eyes lighted up in recognition and she tried to say her name.  Then she looked questioningly at Jaascin.  He sent a quick glance of warning to Cyrellai.  She smiled in recognition of his warning. 
     “He is a healer that has come to help us find a cure for you.  He is a learned man from the East, whom your father asked to help.  He has been staying with us while you are being treated in case he can be of assistance.”
     Jaascin was quietly observing the young woman’s reaction.  He was watching to see her movements, the movement of her eyes and how she was working to try to speak.  The mage came in to join them.  Jaascin after continuing to observe, for a while, quietly indicated to the mage that he would like to speak with him.  They quietly went out the door and walked a short way down the corridor.
     “She is going to become frustrated by not being able to turn her head easily and her inability to speak very well.  We are going to have to sedate her for a day or two while the cure progresses to a point she can see the progress she is making,” Jaascin told the mage.  The mage thoughtfully nodded his head.  Now that Jaascin mentioned that, he did see that could be the case.
     “I noticed a little indication of frustration.  Is there some sedative, which is safe for her and which will not hinder her progress?” the mage questioned Jaascin, indicating his belief that Jaascin was better versed in these matters.  The mage was now very willing to trust Jaascin’s judgement in this.  He was sure that Jaascin, no matter what else he was, was a very knowledgeable healer.
     “Yes,” Jaascin thoughtfully replied,  “I have a sedative that has worked under these circumstances.  It should actually help the progress of the cure.  It will cause her to relax and not fight the relaxing of the paralysis.  She will not work as hard trying to move the various parts of her body.”
     “When would you propose to give her the sedative?” questioned the mage.
     “I will mix it up immediately.  Then we will give it to her at the first opportunity when she is given some nourishment.   We will give it to her again in the morning and again tomorrow afternoon.  Meanwhile we will observe her to see the progress of the cure.  I have hopes that by the following morning, she will have gained enough, near normal movement, that the sedative will no longer be necessary.”
     Unnoticed by either of them, Cyrellai had come out of the room and was quietly listening to them talk.  Jaascin noticed she was nearby, smiled at her and then went to his room to prepare the sedative.  He then brought a container of it.  Cyrellai took it from him and said she would see that it was given to the patient as he had said it should.  This taken care of, Jaascin walked through the palace and out into the garden.  It was a beautiful day.  He wanted to consider the future.  His work here would soon be done.   
     He had committed to traveling north to find his friend.  He should now consider how he might find him.  He was supposed to have gone far to the north in a mountainous area.  A short time later, Cyrellai came to join him in the garden.
     “I thought I would find you here.  It is a good place to come to think,” she said to him.  Then she looked questioningly at him.  “How could you see that she was becoming frustrated.  I don’t think anyone else saw that.  I’m not even sure the mage really saw it until you mentioned the fact.”
     Jaascin bowed his head in thought a moment. 
     “I saw it in her eyes,” he simply answered.  “People’s eyes can tell you a lot if you only think to look and try to understand.”
     Cyrellai smiled a mischievous smile,  “And what do my eyes tell you?”
     Jaascin laughed quietly,  “That you are a very beautiful, intelligent, charming and for me a very dangerous young woman.”  Then before she could comment asked,  “Is your accompanying me north and you introducing me to your father and mother, part of my penance?”
     Cyrellai looked at Jaascin speculatively.  Then with a sly smile and raise eyebrows asked,  “Do you view my accompanying you as a penance?”
     “No, but bringing me to the attention of your parents may turn out to be dangerous for my health.  Especially if they already know that you have stayed the night with me.”
     Cyrellai laughed.  “My aunt and uncle have already sent word that you have saved their daughter from a living death.  My aunt has already told my mother that you are a very honorable man.  My parents will be aware that it was I who seduced you, and not you who seduced me.  Besides they would prefer to meet my lover, than to only hear about him from others.”
     Jaascin looked at Cyrellai in disbelief,  “Would any parents believe their beautiful daughter was the aggressor, especially when she is an Elven princess.  Somehow that does not seem reasonable to me.  Besides, no one would ever believe you would have any reason to be the aggressor.  Of that I am sure.  You could have your pick of whatever man you might wish and I am neither an Elf nor highborn.” 
     “Ah but you are a separate case,” Cyrellai stated.  “You have a reason not to cause any problems.  You are a very honorable man.  Therefore you do not act like any other man.  To snare you, requires a different type of campaign.”
     “But why would you want to snare me.  I have admitted my background is questionable.  I am not an Elf.  I have no great power.  And as I am sure you know, I have no great wealth.  I cannot be looked on as a great catch by any one. Especially not a very beautiful Elven Princess.”
     “That is what makes you intriguing to me.  You are a mystery, although you deny it.  You try to play down your power.  You shrug off your powers as a healer as if anyone could do it.  You conduct your sorcerer’s incantations in front of everyone, as if it really isn’t anything.  Others do these things in secret to show that they are special and only they can do them.  And I think you are a very good swordsman, although you make no claim to that.  You are in other words, unlike any other man I have ever met,” Cyrellai argued.
     “Does that make me worth risking your reputation,” asked Jaascin.
     “That is what I am trying to tell you.  Because you are what you are, I am not risking my reputation.  All the women will envy me.  I will be more exciting to men because I have made a conquest of you.”
     Jaascin, with a smile, then added to her comment,  “And if I survive to make it through your land, I will never be allowed to return.”
     Cyrellai had fire in her eye.  “That is not true and you know it.  You will have a safe haven here for the rest of your life.  You can return whenever you wish.  You will be welcomed with open arms.  You will be treated as you have been treated so far.  You have saved the life of a Princess when everyone else failed.”  She glared at Jaascin.
     With a smile, Jaascin bowed apologetically and got down on one knee before Cyrellai,  “My most humblest apologies if I have angered you, my beautiful Princess.  I bow my head in shame.”
     Cyrellai stamped her foot and then laughed.  “You make me mad.  You refuse to be serious.”
     Jaascin got to his feet, and as he did, Cyrellai slipped into his arms, put her arms around his neck, pulled his head down and gave him a lengthy kiss. 
     Then she drew back and with a thoughtful smile asked,  “If I am so attractive to men, why are you not worshiping at my feet?”
     “I always have been, since I first laid eyes on you.  But you are an Elven Princess.  Such as I can only dream of you.”
     “Are you saying the other night was just a dream?”
Jaascin smiled,
      “A most wonderful dream,” he answered.
     Cyrellai struck her fist against his chest.  “I should make you pay for that.”
     “It seems I am getting deeper and deeper in debt.  I shall never get out for a thousand years,” Jaascin said.
     “Perhaps eventually I will own you.  You will be my slave.”  Cyrellai gave a saucy toss of her head.
     “You already do,” was Jaascin’s quiet comment.
Cyrellai gave him a loving smile, then pulled his head down again and kissed him.
     “Your aunt wishes to see you.”  A voice interrupted.  Cyrellai turned to see who was speaking.  It was her aunt’s most trusted servant.  Cyrellai was startled. 
     “I wonder what she wants to see me about,” she said to herself.
     “It sounds like you had better go and see.” was Jaascin’s comment.
     “Happy to get rid of this pest?”  Cyrellai questioned with a smile and a tilt of her head.  Then she turned and followed the woman out of the garden.  Her aunt was waiting for Cyrellai in one of the private sitting rooms.  She smiled at Cyrellai as she entered.  Cyrellai looked questioningly at her.
     “We have just received word from your parents.  They have been to the King’s city on an official visit.  They are planning to stop here on their way home.  They will be here the first part of next week.”
     Cyrellai looked concerned.  “Did they say they expected me to go home with them?”
     “No.  They just said they would stay a couple of weeks.  We have been asking them to visit us.  They are taking this opportunity to do so.  They said they were looking forward to meeting our mysterious healer.”
     Cyrellai again looked somewhat concerned.  At noticing this her aunt continued, with a smile,  “No I said nothing about you.  I will leave that up to you.”
     “Thank you,” said Cyrellai with a sigh of relief.  “I am going to tell them the truth.  I would like to introduce my parents to Jaascin.”  Then with a laugh she added,  “He already thinks my father will have his head.  Of course, then he added with a nasty grin, at least I will die happy.”
     Her aunt started laughing.  “He really isn’t afraid your father will demand he be punished.  He really can’t be blamed.”
     “Well he didn’t push me out of his room and tell me to go back to my room.  Besides, he doesn’t believe my father would believe I was the instigator.  He thinks my parents will blame him no matter what I say.  He says if he is lucky enough to get out of our land alive, he will never be allowed to come back in.  He says he has been the ruin of an Elven princess.  I told him that was just an excuse not to come back to see me again.”
     “And what was his answer to that?”
     “He just smiled and said, ‘oh I will come back’.”
     Her aunt looked at Cyrellai.  “He doesn’t seem to act like a man who is afraid of being punished.”
     “That’s what makes him so exasperating.  He has no fear what so ever.  Of course he has claimed he faced death many times.”  Then Cyrellai added thoughtfully,  “I think he really has.  He seems to take everything so calmly.”
     “He does act like a man who is sure of himself.  But he does not seem to have a big ego.  In fact he doesn’t act like he even has an ego.  Come to think of it he is a strange mysterious person, but not at all threatening,” her aunt said.
     “No he does not seem to be threatening in any way to me either, but I would not like to have to do battle with him.  I think he would be a formidable opponent,” said Cyrellai.
     Her aunt looked at Cyrellai, then with a half smile asked,  “Do you think he is in love with you?”
     Cyrellai smiled,  “He claims I own him.  That he is my slave.  The trouble is, he doesn’t act like a slave.  I think he loves me in his own way.  That is fine with me.  I like him the way he is.  He owes allegiance to no one, but when he wishes he gives it unstintingly.”
      “In other words he would fight an army for you if need be,” her aunt said carrying Cyrellai’s thought a step further.
     Cyrellai smiled dreamily, “Yes I think he would.  I hope he never has to.  I would not want him to be hurt.”
     Her aunt laughed,  “It sounds like you don’t think even then he would be killed.”  Cyrellai just smiled.
     “Are you going to tell him your parents are coming?” her aunt asked her.
     Cyrellai thought for a moment.  “He will soon learn it even if I don’t tell him.  I think I would rather have him hear it from me.”  Cyrellai decided to tell him that night.  She was sure no one else would tell him before then.
     That night, Cyrellai again walked into his room after the attendants had given him his bath.  This time she was already in his bed by the time he had dried.  He slipped in beside her. 
     After they made love, and she was snuggled into his arms, Cyrellai murmured,  “My parents are coming here next week.”
     Jaascin was quiet for a moment.  “I had better start packing and planning to leave.”
     Cyrellai sat up and lay over him.  With fire in her eye said,  “You will do nothing of the kind.  You will stay here and I am going to introduce you to my mother and father.  You have not finished your work here, and I am not ready to let you go.”
     Jaascin smiled up at her.  Her eyes were beautiful when they flashed fire.  “You are determined to bring about my death.”
     “You are not going to die unless I get mad enough to strangle you.  No one is going to demand your death.  No one is even going to suggest you need to be punished in any way, except to condemn you to having to spend your time with me.  You are being acclaimed a hero, whether you admit it or not.  And I am claiming you for my hero.”
     Jaascin pulled her down to him and kissed her.  She answered his kiss and snuggled back into his arms.  She felt like, nothing could touch her, nothing could harm her when she was in his arms.
     The next morning, she slipped out of bed, put on her gown and started to head for her room.  As she went out the door she told Jaascin, 
     “I will pick you up in a short time and we will go and see the patient and then go to breakfast.”
     Jaascin smiled after her.  He wondered how he could have lucked out like this.  He did believe her that he was in no danger of being driven from the Elves’ forest.  He was sure that he would be welcomed back if and when he returned.  He did not know whether he should look forward to meeting Cyrellai’s parents or not.  After all he was not an Elf and he definitely was not a highborn prince.  But he had made love to their daughter.  He knew she would tell them that.  Jaascin knew Cyrellai’s aunt knew.  In fact, he had a hunch the whole palace knew.  Cyrellai was not keeping it a secret.  She saw no reason to do so.  As she had said, she was establishing her claim on him.  It was a claim he would not refute.
     He was ready when she came to go the patient’s room with him.  When they came into the room, it was obvious to Jaascin that the young woman had been given the sedative.  She looked at Jaascin and then at Cyrellai and smiled.  The woman came up to Jaascin as Cyrellai went to the bed to talk to her cousin.  The woman told Jaascin that the young woman had been given the sedative this morning as directed.  Jaascin told her to give it to her tonight also.  However, he said not to give it to her the next morning until he had come in and examined the young woman.  
     Jaascin was watching the young woman all this time.  He was bringing up in his mind how things should go from now on.  He was now sure everything was going as it should be.  He was becoming positive the young woman would be completely cured.  When Cyrellai said goodbye to her cousin, Jaascin followed her out of the room.
     “How is she doing?  I noticed you were observing her while I was talking to her,” Cyrellai said.
     “You will be happy to know I think she is doing better than I expected.  We may not have to give her the sedative tomorrow morning.  I will visit her early to check on her.”
Cyrellai smiled happily at this news.  She was anxious to have her cousin up and about again. 
     “I guess I will have to get you up early,” she told him with a smile.  She said it loud enough so anyone around could have heard her.  There were always people around the patient’s room.  Jaascin just shook his head at her.  If everyone didn’t now know that she was staying with him at night, they soon would.  She obviously had no intention of keeping it a secret.  She seemed to see no reason she should keep it a secret that she was spending her nights with him.
     “Oh you are bound to get me into deep trouble,” Jaascin told her with a smile. 
     “You’re not in any trouble with anyone except me.”   
     Cyrellai was steering him in the direction of the dining room of her aunt and uncle.  Jaascin didn’t realize it until he was walking in the door.  He had been too deep in conversation with Cyrellai.
     “Good morning,” her aunt greeted them,  “I hope you got a good rest.  Did you look in on your patient?”
     Jaascin smiled,  “Yes to both questions.”  Then he continued, “I told Cyrellai that your daughter was progressing faster than I anticipated.  We may not have to give her the sedative tomorrow morning, if she continues.”
     Cyrellai immediately added,  “I told Jaascin I would have to wake him up early tomorrow morning.”
     Her aunt and uncle started to laugh.  “She is determined to try to embarrass you, isn’t she,” the Prince said with a smile.
     “Or get me into deep trouble,” Jaascin added.
     “Oh pooh,” Cyrellai immediately said, “That isn’t going to get you into trouble.  You’re just looking for an excuse to get rid of me,” she added with a saucy flip of her head.  Then she turned to Jaascin, and with a devilish look said,  “You’ll never succeed until you leave the forest.  As I told you earlier, I am not ready to let you go.”
     Her aunt laughed, then she asked Cyrellai,  “Have you told him?”
     “That my mother and father are coming here?  Yes.  He said he had better start packing right away.  That is when I told him I was not ready to let him go.”
     “That’s my penance, to be roasted alive in front of her,” Jaascin said with a small smile.
     “What is this about a penance?”  Her uncle asked.
     “Jaascin got off on the wrong foot, by assuming I was a maid to my cousin.  He apologized profusely.  I told him that I would require much more than an apology.  Since then, I have found a way to get him, to dig himself in, even deeper.  He came up with the penance thing.  I thought it sounded wonderful,” Cyrellai told them with a devilish smile.  Her aunt and uncle started laughing.
     She really is being mean to you, isn’t she?”  Cyrellai’s aunt said.
     “Absolutely horrid,” Jaascin quickly agreed with a very mournful sigh.  That brought additional laughter.  They had all come to realize that this was just an act Jaascin was putting on.
     The breakfast was enjoyable, and the conversation light hearted.  The mood in the entire palace had become much happier since the princess was obviously improving.  It had actually spread throughout the city.  Everyone knew this mysterious man had somehow found a way to miraculously cure their Princess.  They did look on it as a miracle.  Jaascin’s actions had heightened that impression.  He had really made it look too easy, while making more of it than he really had to do.
     The next several days the improvement in the patient was plainly evident to everyone.  She was now sitting up, eating normally and even talking more like her old self.  Jaascin had finally given permission for her attendants to help her out of bed and into her bath.  He actually thought this would help to speed up her recovery.  The mere fact of being clean would raise her spirits.
     “Are you going to insist on observing to see that everything goes right?”  Cyrellai asked with a malicious grin.
     Jaascin looked at her disgustedly.  “That young lady was entirely uncalled for,” he said.
     Cyrellai put on her most apologetic look and said,  “My humblest apologies, oh great master.”  She was taking a page from Jaascin’s book of mannerisms.
     Jaascin shook his head and threw up his hands in resignation.  “I am never going to figure you out.  Except that you love to plague me.  When I came, I never knew that was in store for me.”
     “Are you sorry you came.
     “You know I am not.  Because then, I would never have met you.  But no one ever told me that there was a woman like you.  I had never experienced one such as you.”
     “Why,” Cyrellai said innocently,  “I am just an ordinary Elven maiden.”
     Jaascin laughed,  “There never was, nor ever will be, anything ordinary about you.  I cannot believe anyone would ever describe you as ordinary.”
     Cyrellai gave him a lovely and beguiling smile.  Then she went to supervise the bath of her cousin. 
     Jaascin went back to his room.  He was soon deep into his books again.  He had been spending all of his free time studying and reviewing what he had learned and adding onto that learning.  He now had the time.  Here he was perfectly safe.  Here he was treated like a special guest.  It was an unusual experience for Jaascin.  He found he was enjoying it.  He knew that times like these might be few in the future.  He could not believe that his life had changed so drastically.



Chapter Three

    

     The week went almost too swiftly for Jaascin.  Although assured Cyrellai’s parents really did look forward to meeting him.  And it was implied by everyone, he had nothing to worry about.  He wasn’t sure how Cyrellai’s parents would receive him.   He could not bring himself to believe that they would see their daughter as the aggressor.  

     The day came of their arrival.  Jaascin looked in on the patient after breakfast with the Prince and Princess.  She was practically back to normal.  Jaascin even allowed them to take her into town for a short time.  After Cyrellai brought her cousin back to the palace and left her with her parents, she went looking for Jaascin.  She found him in the garden.

     “Do not look so worried.  My mother will fall in love with you after my aunt tells her how you cured her niece.  My father will be interested in talking with you.”
     “Yes, until you tell them that you have slept with me.”
     Cyrellai looked at Jaascin.  “I intend to tell them that as soon as they arrive.  Even before they meet you.  I will tell them I wanted to make sure you would stay around until my cousin was completely cured.  That by the time I was convinced you had no intention of leaving until she was cured, I had fallen in love with you and wanted you to stay around for my own selfish reasons.”
     “Do you think they will believe you, and will your aunt and uncle back up your story?”
     “I know that my aunt sees no problems with my actions.  She will also back me up when I say it was I who was the aggressor.  That you were too honorable to try to seduce me.”
     Jaascin just shook his head.  “I do not want to hide behind you.  I was quite willing and offered no objection what-so-ever.”
     “I am merely telling the truth.  I had planned that I was going to bed with you right from the start.  I saw you as you were brought into the palace.  I decided then, that you would prove an interesting conquest, at the same time I could help guarantee you would do everything you could to help my cousin.  So now you know the truth.”
     “Why did you not tell me who you were when you first met me.  You made no indication that you were a princess, and the cousin of the young woman I set out to try to cure.  You let me think you were just a companion to the princess.”  Jaascin looked at Cyrellai accusingly.
     Cyrellai smiled an innocent smile.  “I didn’t intentionally mislead you.  I didn’t think it important that you knew exactly who I was.  I knew you would find out in good time.  I didn’t want my true identity to get in the way of my getting to know you better.”
     “So you let me embarrass myself, by assuming you were a servant.   You figured you could thereby get something to hold over me.  You succeeded admirably.  But how did you know I would be apologetic.”
     “I didn’t.  I was just lucky.  I did have a hunch that you would react that way.  Otherwise, I would have to rethink my plan.”  Then Cyrellai added with a lovely smile,  “I’m really glad my hunch was right.  It is proving to be a wonderful campaign.”
     “I never thought of myself as a prize for such a campaign.  Especially when a beautiful Elven princess is conducting the campaign.”
     Hearing trumpets announcing the arrival of her mother and father to the palace, Cyrellai blew Jaascin a kiss and went back into the palace.  Jaascin wandered over to the seat in the bower, and sat down.  He knew they would come and find him when he was required.   It was a little while later that Cyrellai, herself, came to get Jaascin. 
     “My parents would like to meet you. They respectfully ask if you would honor them with your presence.”
     Jaascin smiled at her wording.  “Is that how you worded it so as to make me think it was not a command to appear to hear the judgement.”  Cyrellai looked at him disgustedly.   
     “That is exactly as they asked the message to be delivered to you.  They are anxious to meet this learned man who cured my cousin.”
     Jaascin smiled and sighed in resignation.  “I am ready for the unveiling.”
     Cyrellai burst out laughing.  “You will not take your abilities seriously.  You treat them as if they just happened.  And you were the one who was there at the time.”
     With that she slipped her arm through Jaascin’s and led him into the palace and into the formal receiving room.  A group of Elves were gathered around Cyrellai’s uncle and aunt and mother and father.  The group parted when Cyrellai and Jaascin came into the room.  Cyrellai led Jaascin up to the four of them.  Jaascin knew he was being closely scrutinized. 
     Cyrellai’s uncle smiled at Jaascin and then turned to Cyrellai’s father and mother,  “I would like to present Sir Jaascin Wanilain.  He is the healer who has cured our daughter when we began to lose hope.  As we have found out, he is also a great scholar, and sorcerer or mage, as well as a great healer.  However, as your daughter will tell you, he says that really is not completely true.”
     Jaascin smiled and then with a bow of his head, he said,  “What I said is that I do not lay claim to any of those things.  I just had the knowledge of a cure for your niece’s affliction.  It was a very lucky happenstance.”
     “You see,” said Cyrellai in a disgusted tone,  “He makes me absolutely furious.  He pretends it just happened.  Even when he predicts exactly what is going to happen, he refuses to view it as anything.”
     “It seems, our daughter does not believe you.”  Her father said with a smile.  “I gather, her uncle and aunt are in agreement with her.”
     “My sister says you are a charming enigma, and a truly honorable man,” Cyrellai’s mother said.  “It seems my daughter intends to discover the answer to this enigma.”
Jaascin was silent for a moment. Then he spoke. 
     “I have warned your daughter, that it could be dangerous for her.  She knows little of anything about me.  As I have told her, I lay no claim to be of noble birth.  I am not Elven.  I have no lands.  I have little money.  My background is questionable.  On the other hand, she is beautiful and an Elven princess.”  Then Jaascin smiled.  “Unfortunately she has not been listening, or else ignoring what I have been saying.”
     Her father looked at Jaascin.  “She has had a tendency to do that when she has made up her mind about what she wants to do.”
     Her mother got a smile on her face.  “You do not seem unhappy about the fact she refuses to listen to what you are saying.”
     “Cyrellai is very intelligent.  That I have already learned.  It is not that she doesn’t understand what I am saying.  She is also very beautiful and very charming.  That is a very dangerous combination for me.  She can make me forget my resolve.”
     Her father was listening to this exchange with a smile on his face.  “I have been told you also have experience as a swordsman.”
     “I do know how to handle some weapons if that becomes necessary.  I have never been a soldier, nor have I been a mercenary.  However, I will confess, my knowledge of the use of weapons to defend myself has saved my life a number of times,” Jaascin said with a small smile.  Then he added, “I have found that diplomacy is a far better weapon.  It draws no visible blood.”  Cyrellai’s father and uncle smiled.  Cyrellai laughed. 
     “He should know.  He has great abilities as a diplomat and a courtier.  I think he would be a formidable opponent.”
     Jaascin smiled.  “That is something you will never have to worry about.  We will never be on opposite sides.”
     Cyrellai’s mother smiled and said, “That is something that Cyrellai is determined to make sure of.  That is the impression she has given us as far as you are concerned.”
     Then Cyrellai’s uncle said to Jaascin,  “We would like you and Cyrellai to join the four of us for dinner tonight.  I would like them to hear the stories of your travels that you have told us.”
     Jaascin took this as a dismissal.  He was happy to make his departure.  He was surprised Cyrellai slipped her arm through his and went with him. 
     When they got out into the hall, Cyrellai turned toward him and said,  “See, my parents were very nice.  Mother, I can tell likes you.”
     “You mean I have been given a reprieve for the moment.  The court is now deciding my fate,” Jaascin said solemnly.
Cyrellai grabbed Jaascin’s arm and spun him around to face her.  Her eyes had fire in them.  Her fists were clenched as if she was thinking of beating on him.
     “They are doing no such thing.  My aunt is probably telling them how wonderful a man you are.  She is probably saying she is sure you have some Elven blood in you.  That you really have the manners and bearing of a noble, although you say you are of lowly birth.”
     “You know you are especially beautiful when you have fire in your eye.”
     “And if you keep this up, it is going to get hot enough to scorch you,” said Cyrellai.  Then her look changed.  
     “Speaking of fire, how do you make that fire you had burning in that dish, and how did you float that vessel above it?”
     Jaascin innocently asked,  “What fire in what dish.  I don’t remember floating any vessel except on the water in my bath.”
     “You are totally exasperating, you know.”
     “You could give me up.”
     “Not a chance.  There are too many attractive young women waiting in line for their chance.  I told you I am not giving you up until I am ready.  I am not going to be ready until you are just about to cross over our northern border, and leave our forest.”
     “You mean you are not even going to give me up, while your parents are here?”
     “No.  Why should that make any difference.  They have their own rooms.  It is in a different wing of the palace.  My mother is not going to be checking on me, to see if I am in my own bed.  She figures I old enough and intelligent enough not to do anything completely stupid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment