Saturday, April 28, 2012


     Early the next morning, he was on his way.  The barmaid had just arrived when he paid up and was leaving the inn.  He gave her a little locket.  She smiled happily at him and thanked him.  The locket had a little charm that would be of use to her.  He was sure she would wear it from now on.  She would remember him if he came back this way.  She would forget she even saw him, if someone would happen to ask about him.
     The countryside continued to be farmland until late in the day when the road began to climb into a low range of wooded hills.  Jaascin planned to find a small dead-end valley in which to camp.  He would look for a ledge, overlooking the valley, upon which he could camp.  He would set an invisible picket around his horses for the night.  No one disturbed him that night.  He did not expect anyone to do so.   He was again up early and on his way.   
     The weather was cool, but pleasant so far.  He would be looking for a town and another inn for tonight.  He expected a storm.  It would strike later in the night.  It was late that afternoon that he came upon a larger town.  It had what he thought was a very nice looking inn.  He inquired for a room and was informed there was a fine one available.  Jaascin stabled his horses and had his bags brought up to his room.  When he had paid for the room, the proprietor had noted Jaascin paid in Elven gold.  This was very fine gold, the proprietor knew.  He would see that Jaascin got special treatment.
     Jaascin had just seated himself at a table and ordered some wine, when a man came in and inquired for rooms for his mistress, a duchess.  Jaascin watched as the man arranged things with the proprietor.  A short time later, a young attractive woman came sweeping into the inn.  She swept the room with a perfunctory glance, until she saw Jaascin.  She stopped and looked at him in surprise.  Jaascin smiled and inclined his head in a bow in her direction.  She looked for a moment more, then looked away and followed her maid up the stairs, followed by two men with her bags.  Jaascin wondered if she would come down to dinner or have it in her room.  The crowd in this inn should be much better than that of the previous inn. 
     A man with the bearing of a soldier and a sword at his side, came in and looked around.  He then seated himself where he could survey the room and had a view of the stairs.  Jaascin figured he was bodyguard of the duchess.  He looked like a very capable swordsman.  He noticed Jaascin’s Elven short sword and dagger.  He was seated not far from where Jaascin was seated. 
     Turning to Jaascin he said, “I have not seen too many Elven short swords worn by someone obviously not an elf.”
     Jaascin smiled pleasantly at him.  “It was a present for a favor done an Elven prince,” Jaascin answered.  “If used right, it can be a very useful weapon.”
     “So I have heard,” said the man.  Then he added, “That is a very unusual gem imbedded in the handle.”
     “I am told that it is a fairy gem,” Jaascin told him.  “I merely know it is very beautiful.”
     The man looked somewhat skeptical.  “I have heard rumors of such things.  I have never known of any or seen any before.  Are they suppose to have special powers?”
     “I have been told, they can never be lost, stolen or destroyed,” answered Jaascin.  “I do not have proof of any of that.  I do not know of any attempt to steal the sword.”
     As they were talking the duchess came down the stairs and into the room.  The guard rose and bowed to her.  She recognized his bow with a slight incline of her head.  She looked intently at Jaascin.  Then she came walking toward him.  Jaascin rose from his chair and bowed to her.   
     “Duchess,” he said.
     She smiled at him.  “You are obviously a noble of some country.  I do not think I have met you before.”
     “I have just come to your land.  It is my first visit here.  I am Sir Jaascin Wanilain.  I have just come from the land of the Elves to the south.”  Jaascin thought he would take the freedom of giving himself a title in light of the elves giving him the standing of a noble in their country.
     The Duchess smiled pleasantly.  “I noticed your Elven sword, and an Elven flair to your costume.  That is an unusual gem in the handle of your sword.  It seems to change colors much like fairy gems are reputed to do.”
     “I have been told that it is a fairy gem, my lady,” Jaascin answered,  “Whether it is or not, I do not know.”
The duchess looked surprised.  Seeing that look of surprise, and realizing what the duchess was thinking, Jaascin said,  
     “It was a gift.  The gem was already embedded in the handle.  I can only relate what was told me.”
     “May I see it,” the duchess asked pleasantly.  Jaascin slipped it out of its scabbard and offered it too her handle first.  It floated out of his hand and over to the outstretched hand of the duchess.  She was startled.
     “It has strange powers, my lady.  However it is safe for you to take it,” Jaascin said.  The duchess grasped the sword and inspected it. 
     “It is obviously a very fine weapon,” she said.  “It is an unusual gift for an elf to give a human.”
     “It was an unusual favor I did for the Prince,” Jaascin said.   
     The duchess looked intently at Jaascin when she handed the sword back to him.  He slipped it back into its scabbard.  The duchess seemed to be waiting. 
     Jaascin bowed,  “Would you care to join me my lady.  I would be greatly honored.”  Jaascin moved to hold a chair for her as she moved toward him as if to accept his invitation. 
     As she was seated, she asked, “Where are you bound for?”
     “I eventually hope to make it to the northern mountains.  I have a friend who has supposedly settled there.  I planned to go there to seek him out.”
     The duchess looked at him,  “If you could take a little while from your travels, the Duke and I would be pleased if you would accept our invitation to spend a little time with us.  Our home would not be out of your way.”
     Jaascin was somewhat surprised at this invitation.  However there was no indications that this was anything but a friendly invitation to someone from another land. He decided to accept the offer.  He had no set timetable.  This might prove an interesting diversion.  In addition, it might prove to be a very good chance to get valuable information.
     The duchess proved to be pleasant company.  She also proved to be intelligent and well educated.  There was nothing coquettish about her actions.  The guard watched over her, but not suspiciously.  Her maid also proved to be interesting.  The duchess was well informed on what was going on in the area.  She was quite willing to share some of this information with Jaascin.  She lingered a while after the end of the meal.  Then she excused herself and arranged a time in the morning to have breakfast, after which Jaascin would join them on the trip to the Duchey.
     The next morning Jaascin was up early.  He packed his bags and made ready for leaving after breakfast.  In the confusion of the duchess departing, Jaascin could move his bags down to the stable ready for them to be loaded on his horses.  In fact he would float them onto their backs ready for him to cinch them down.  He packed the Elven sword.  He would wear his two swords to breakfast with the duchess.
     He was waiting for her when she came down the stairs.  He was dressed for traveling with his two swords by his side.  She had a startled look on her face. 
     “I have never seen two swords like that.  The jewels on them are beautiful.”
     Jaascin bowed to the duchess, “These I dare not allow you to touch.  Those jewels are more than mere jewels.  They signify an enchantment laid upon those swords.”
     The guardsman who hovered close by, said, “I felt an energy emanate from them.  I wondered about that.”
     “They are of no danger to you,” Jaascin emphasized.  “It is just that they sometimes react violently to any one else handling them.  I would not take the chance of you being harmed, my lady.”
     The duchess smiled sweetly at Jaascin.  “In other words, they will not put an enchantment upon me.”
     Jaascin smiled.  “No, my lady.  They do not have that power.”
     The duchess and her attendant sat down, after which Jaascin seated himself.  They quickly were served their morning meal.  After that, the women went to prepare themselves for the journey. 
     Apparently, the castle was only a day’s ride from this inn.  They should arrive in the late afternoon.  The duchess was expected.  A rider had been dispatched to inform the Duke that they would be arriving as planned.  He was also informed a guest would be arriving with them.  Jaascin was mounted and ready when the women appeared.  The duchess looked questioningly at Jaascin when she saw he had three Elven horses.  She seemed to be ready to say something, then changed her mind and entered the carriage.  They set off immediately.  Jaascin rode with the man in charge of safeguarding the duchess.  Early in the morning, Jaascin had spent some time looking for danger signs but could find none.  Nevertheless, he was on the alert although seemingly very relaxed.
     They stopped for a short time at an inn for lunch and then were on their way again.  An hour away from the castle, they were met by a group of the Duke’s soldiers.  They looked Jaascin over curiously.  Jaascin smiled pleasantly and said nothing.  The soldiers noted the Elven bow he carried and the long bow that was strapped to one of the other horse’s pack.  They also noticed the two swords he wore.  Some of the soldiers rode in front and some in back.  The carriage pulled into the castle yard.  Jaascin followed it in and dismounted close to the carriage. 
     The Duke came up to greet his wife and looked at Jaascin curiously.  The Duchess disembarked from the carriage and gave her husband a hug and a kiss.  Then she turned to Jaascin. 
     “I would like you to meet my husband, Duke Fanshel.”  Then turning to her husband she said, “Kainan, I would like you to meet Sir Jaascin Wanilain.” 
     They both acknowledged the introduction and shook hands.  “You are most welcome, Sir Wanilain,” the Duke said in a very pleasant tone of voice.  Then with a smile he added, “My wife seems to be able to meet such interesting people.  Your swords are very unusual.  My Mage whispered he detected a powerful energy emanating from them.”
     Jaascin nodded to the Mage.  “Your mage is right.  An ancient wizard in the east gave me those swords.  He told me that I would be the only one who could use them.  Any one trying to take them from me would die a horrible death.  I try to warn everyone of that possibility.”
     “Do you know that is true?” asked the Duke with a smile.
     “I have not personally seen that.  However, several witnesses swear that it is true.  The experience frightened them horribly.  I have never had the swords stolen.  I have been told the jewels are worth a fortune.”  Then Jaascin added with a smile, “I feel that is evidence enough for me to warn people in advance, especially friends who inadvertently take one of the swords to look at it.”
     The Duke smiled, “You do not wish to test that out on friends.”
     Jaascin smiled back.  “Not if I can prevent it.”
     “I see you have Elven horses and an Elven bow.” The Duke said as they walked toward the palace.  He had already directed men to bring Jaascin’s baggage and to see that his horses were taken care of.  Then he added before Jaascin could answer him, “I hope you will accept our hospitality for a while.  Both my wife and my mage seem to think you would be an interesting person to get to know.”
Jaascin bowed his head in the Duke’s direction in acknowledgement of the invitation. 
     “First I would say I prefer to be called Jaascin.  Then in answer to your observation, I came from the Elven forest to the south.  While there I was able to do a favor for the Prince.  He presented me with the Elven bow and sword and I was able to obtain three Elven horses.  They allow me to travel faster as the need arises.  I would be happy to accept your invitation as I have no need to travel fast at the present.”  Jaascin said this last with a broad smile.
     The Duchess smiled at this statement by Jaascin and said, “You did not appear to be in any great hurry when we saw you at the inn.  My man said he had a very pleasant conversation with you, and that you seemed very relaxed.”
     “However, my captain who met you, said although you seemed at ease, he could see you were really very alert,” the Duke said.
     “I have traveled extensively.  Some areas through which I have traveled required constant vigilance.  I trained myself to look relaxed while very vigilant.  That habit has served me well.”
     Jaascin was shown to his rooms.  They proved to be very nice.  Again he was being treated like an important noble.  He was sure this was the impression the Duchess conveyed to her husband.  Jaascin was able to give this impression without sacrificing his ability to talk to everyone as if they were his equal. 
     The Duke had asked him to dine with them tonight.  Jaascin took the bath that was prepared for him to get rid of the dust of the road.   He then changed to one of the outfits that Cyrellia had caused to be made for him.  He decided to carry no weapons.  There was no indication of any danger to him in the castle.
     When he came into the dining hall, Jaascin was surprised to see that he was to be seated beside the Duchess.  On the other side of the Duke his mage was seated and beside him a Lord from a nearby area.  A cousin was seated on the other side of Jaascin.
     The Duke leaned toward Jaascin.  He quietly said, “My Mage is of the opinion that you also have some powers of a mage or a sorcerer.”
     Jaascin smiled. “I will admit I have mastered the art of producing sorcerer’s fire.  It also at times has served a useful purpose.”  The Mage smiled at Jaascin.  But he did not seem entirely convinced that was the extent of Jaascin’s powers. 
     “It is apparent you have the intelligence to use appearances to avoid actions you would prefer not to make.  However, that does not rule out the fact that you have far greater ability than you show.”
     Jaascin heaved a sigh of resignation, at which the Duchess laughed.  “I have had the this trouble before, of people attributing far greater powers to me than I admit to having.”  He thereupon floated a dish in front of him and kindled a flame in it.  
     “My lady did not believe me when I attributed the illusion of my Elven sword floating over to her to the power of the gem in the handle of that sword.”
The Duchess, showing no surprise at the phenomena of the dish that was floating in the air, turned to her husband. 
     “That is right.  His Elven short sword had a fairy gem embedded in the hilt of the sword.  He said it was there when he received it as a present.  I did not entirely believe him that he knew nothing about the jewel.  Nor did I quite believe him when he said the sword had strange powers.  It probably does, but not the power of levitation.”
     The Duke was smiling at this revelation by his wife.  His Mage had said that they had nothing to fear from Jaascin.  That he could detect nothing evil regarding any power Jaascin might have. 
     The Lord, sitting at the table, a young man, said thoughtfully, “You are like no other man I have ever known.  You treat lightly any power or ability others wish to ascribe to you.  Most other men would immediately admit to those powers or abilities, even though they might not be true.  I have the feeling that any powers and abilities attributed to you are definitely true.”
     Jaascin smiled at him.  “I would prefer to be your friend, rather than your opponent.”  The Duke laughed at this quiet observation of Jaascin’s. 
     “I feel you have an uncanny ability to read people, Jaascin.  That ability can be very valuable to a man like yourself who travels the world.”    
     The Duke then asked Jaascin about some of the lands he had seen and the countries through which he had traveled.  Jaascin did oblige by describing some of the lands he had seen.  He described the people and some of their customs.  All at the table listened in fascination.  Jaascin proved to be a very good spinner of tales.










Chapter Six
     When Jaascin came to his rooms, the Duke’s Mage was waiting for him. 
     “I apologize for imposing upon you like this, but I had to find out an answer to a question.  When you made the dish float above the table and made sorcerer’s fire appear in it, you seemed to have done nothing to cause that.  I can make things seem to float and produce sorcerer’s fire, but I must give an incantation to do this.”
     Jaascin smiled.  “You think you must, but it is not necessary.  An ancient sorcerer taught me this.  It does take practice.  You can actually produce these phenomena by concentrating upon thinking of the incantation.” 
     Jaascin produced a plate.  He then said the incantation out loud.  Then he caused the plate to lower to the table.  The second time he softly mumbled the incantation.  The plate again floated and the fire appeared.  He extinguished the flame and brought the plate down to the table.  Then he silently made the plate float and the flame appear.  Then he had the Mage do the same.  It took him a number of tries, but he finally succeeded.  Jaascin made him practice the silent phenomena several more times.  The Mage was delighted.  He thanked Jaascin and left the room.  Jaascin smiled.  He had made another friend.  He was sure the Mage would tell the Duke about how helpful Jaascin had been.  Because the Mage was sure of his position with the Duke, he did not have to prove he was a mage.  Being able to produce enchantments without seeming to do anything would raise his importance in the eyes of others.
     The next morning Jaascin dined with the Duke’s family.  Again the cousin was seated beside him. 
     “I hope you rested well,” she said, smiling sweetly at Jaascin.
     “I have a most restful sleep.  I had no worries and a beautiful woman about whom I could dream.”
Lianna smiled skeptically at him. 
     “You say that so naturally that I could almost believe you.  I think you are very practiced at flattering young women.  You do it so easily.”
     “It is easy to do when it is the truth,” Jaascin said with a smile.  The Duchess listening in to the conversation began to laugh. 
     “Perhaps you should be more hesitant, Jaascin.  You do it far too easily,” the Duchess said.
     Jaascin sighed.  “But the truth is so easy to say.”
Everyone at the table laughed at the way he said it.
     “You sound like a diplomat and courtier, Jaascin,” said the Duke.  “You would make a very valuable ally.  The captain of my guards, said this morning, he would not like to face you in a duel.  He is a master swordsman.”
     Jaascin turned to the Duke.  “Tell him I would prefer not to have to face him.  The most dangerous man is the one who does not underestimate his opponent.”
The Duchess smiled at Jaascin. 
     “He will be delighted to hear that you said that.”  Then she said, “What other illusions do you have for us this morning.”
     Jaascin smiled.  “I would defer to your Mage,” he said.
     The Mage then produced the phenomenon that Jaascin had produced at dinner.  The Mage seemed to have done nothing.  The Duke and the Duchess looked on in surprise.   
     The Mage smiled.  “Last night Jaascin taught me how he did that.  It opened up many possibilities.  Although Jaascin did not imply that, he knew that I would recognize that possibility.  As the captain said, I hope I never am faced with the possibility of being his opponent.”
     The Duchess smiled warmly at Jaascin,  “You have the amazing facility of making many friends by simple acts.  However, those simple acts tend to open up far greater opportunities for the recipient of those simple acts.”
     “You are ascribing very high moral characteristics to me, my lady.  I am afraid I will not live up to such honorable tendencies,” Jaascin told her.
     The Duchess laughed.  “There you go making light of what you do.  It is a lovely smoke screen, but I am not inclined to believe it.”
     “My wife is determined that you will be a fine gentleman of very high moral character.  She is determined not to be denied that view,” the Duke said.
     Jaascin smiled at the Duchess and commented,  “Oh I am not trying to argue her out of her high regard for my character.  I was just expressing the hope that I shall never disappoint her.”
     Lianna who was quietly listening to the conversation then spoke up, “There are some of us who might not wish you to be of too high moral a character.”  She gave Jaascin a beguiling smile.  The Duchess began to laugh.
     The Duke said, “It sounds like you cannot satisfy everyone, Jaascin, but then it has always proven impossible to be everything to all people, has it not.”
     “It is a tightrope one must walk in life,” Jaascin offered.  “It is what makes life so interesting, and challenging.  It also can make it perilous.”
     Lianna flipped her head coquetishly.  “Oh I don’t think there is anything perilous in this situation.  You just have show one side of your character to my cousin, and the other to me.”
     “Cousin Lianna,” the Duchess said in mock horror, but she was laughing.  Jaascin, with a smile, threw up his hands in resignation.    The Duke and Duchess laughed some more at his actions.
     After the breakfast, Lianna invited Jaascin to go riding with her.  The Duke and Duchess seemed to be in agreement with this.  The Mage quietly whispered to Jaascin,
     “I can detect no danger within the surrounding area.”  Jaascin smiled his thanks.  He had already made a check himself earlier.  However he was going to wear his sword and carry his Elven bow. 
     When they rode out he made sure these weapons were in plain sight.  Jaascin also decided to ride the best of his Elven steeds.  This one was the fastest and also had been trained for battle.  Even carrying two, it could outrun and outlast the fastest of the horses in this area.  The Elves, Jaascin had learned, had bred their horses for speed and for stamina. 
     The Duke had asked him to go on a hunt with them on the following day.  There was a large herd of fine deer in a forest close by.  In addition, there were some large wild boars in the forest that would make a good addition to the feast.  Because they were dangerous, hunting them was considered good sport.
     The ride was enjoyable and the lady not only charming but a very good horsewoman.  The only thing that happened was that a large hawk came circling down to land on Jaascin’s shoulder.  Jaascin did not indicate any surprise that this happened.  In fact he seemed to listen intently as if the hawk was giving him some news.  Then the hawk flew away.  Lianna was about ask about this, but then changed her mind and remained silent.  It was shortly past noon when they returned to the castle.  They had lunch with several others. These people had also been engaged in things that kept them from the castle until this time.     
     Jaascin easily entered into conversation with these people.  It was obvious, the Duke and Duchess did not stand on ceremony unless there were visiting dignitaries at the castle.  Rank was not strictly observed.  Jaascin put that down in the Duke and Duchess’ favor.  Apparently Lianna was comfortable with this.  Her lady-in-waiting dined with them.  She proved to be a very attractive woman apparently the same age as Lianna.   Jaascin thought she came from the family of some minor noble.  She was evidently well educated.  She and Lianna seemed like very good friends.
     Early in the morning, everyone in the castle was busy seeing that all was ready for the hunt.  Jaascin was up early.  He went to the stables to check on the horse, he planned to ride that day.  He took his long bow as well as his short bow along.  He took the Elven sword as well as two daggers.  The Duke greeted him cheerfully at the breakfast previous to the hunt.  It was a kind of ceremonial thing. 
     The Duke obviously loved to hunt and had a huntsman and several assistants in his employ.  The huntsman looked over Jaascin’s bows with interest.  He recognized the short bow as Elven.  The long bow he had never seen before.  He recognized it would take a strong man to pull this bow.  This raised Jaascin in his estimation.  He also recognized that Jaascin had an excellent horse.
     The hunt got off to an excellent start.  Jaascin proved the worth of his long bow, and his marksmanship, by bringing down a large buck with one shot.  It had been at fairly long range.  The deer were prepared and brought back to the castle.  A lunch was brought out to the forest and served to the hunters. 
     After lunch, it was decided to hunt for some large wild boars that had been sighted in this part of the forest.  They were a much more dangerous quarry.  They were known to turn on hunters.  Because of their size and the dangerous tusks, they were capable of killing a man.   
     During the afternoon they were able to kill several large animals with a minimum of damage to the hunters.  Then they got on the trail of a very large boar.  They finally tracked it down and cornered it.  However, the young Lord’s horse stumbled and threw its rider.  The boar hesitated and then turned and charged the hunter who was pinned under his horse.  The Duke jumped down to try to free the man.  Jaascin recognizing the danger both men were in, brought his horse up to where he had a shot at the charging boar and quickly sent two arrows at him.  The boar stumbled and then collapsed.  The second arrow had found its heart. 
     Everyone was milling around watching as the young noble was being freed from his horse.  All of a sudden out of the corner of his eye, Jaascin saw the mate of the boar come charging out of some brush and was headed directly for the Duke and the young noble.  Jaascin sent two arrows at the charging sow, then hurled a dagger at it.  The sow fell dead just inches from the two men.  There was consternation among the hunters.  This was too much of a close call.  No one else had apparently noticed the charging sow until too late. 
     The Duke turned to Jaascin, “How did you see that animal in time.  I did not anticipate another would be that close.”
     “I have seen the mate of a wounded animal charge the one that has hurt or killed its mate.  It caused me to look, at the time she came charging out of the brush.  I was almost too late.  My arrows slowed her down but did not kill her.  Luckily my dagger found her heart in time,” explained Jaascin.
     The Duke said, “You probably saved our lives, at least you saved us from being seriously maimed.  For that you have our gratitude and thanks.”
     Jaascin dipped his head in appreciation of the thanks then said, “I was trained to look for, recognize danger and react quickly.  I am alive because I learned my lessons well.”  The huntsman looked at Jaascin with even greater respect.  Jaascin had also in essence saved the huntsman.  
     The huntsman had jumped from his horse and had drawn his sword and was rushing to try to intercept the animal.  He knew he would have been too late to keep the Duke from harm although he might have saved him from death from the tusk of this animal.   The animals were dressed and the noble put on another horse.  His horse had to be destroyed.   
     The noble had suffered a broken leg when the animal fell on him.  Jaascin knew the Duke had a healer who was capable of taking care of this man.  He would not offer his services.  Jaascin wanted to be on his way in a day or two.
     There was great excitement at the castle when the hunters returned.  The story quickly spread of how Jaascin’s quick action had saved the Duke and the young Lord.  Jaascin made light of his actions.  He said it was just a reaction to a situation.  He said he was the only one who was in position to do this.  Luckily it was the right one.  The Duchess gave her husband a hug and then came over and gave Jaascin one also.  She thanked him as she held on to him for a moment.  The Duke was busy making sure the young Lord was made comfortable and the healer called to set his leg.  Lianna came to Jaascin. 
     “Apparently you have the habit of doing more than nice things for people.”  Then she smiled at him and added, “And you make light of even those things.  You are indeed a strange man.”  She looked at him somewhat questioningly.  Jaascin was indeed different from most of the men she had known.  She wasn’t sure what she should make of him.  Jaascin just smiled at her and then turned to answer a question from another person.
     The fires were ready and some of the meat was already being roasted.  The cooks quickly prepared the rest of the meat and put them on to cook.  Some food had already been prepared, and wine and ale was brought into the dining hall in preparation for the hunters.  They would be gathering as soon as all equipment had been put away.  
     Jaascin went to his room to remove his hunting clothes and change into an outfit appropriate for the celebration.  They would have much to celebrate this time.  It would not be just a celebration of a good hunt.  Jaascin waited and allowed the rest to gather.  Then he quietly walked into the room from a side door.  The Duke spotted him and waved to Jaascin to join him at the head of the table. 
     He was again seated beside the Duchess, with Lianna on his other side.  The Duchess smiled at him and whispered her thanks again.  Jaascin slightly dipped his head in answer.  Lianna was watching him.  The huntsman, seated down the table on the other side of the Duke lifted his glass to Jaascin.  Jaascin smiled at him in recognition of his salute.  He knew the huntsman was silently voicing his thanks.  In the description of the event, Jaascin made sure the huntsman was credited with doing everything he could possibly do at the risk of his own life.  As this was being brought out, Jaascin had commented,
     “I was not risking my life.  I was out of the path of the charging animal.”  The Duke had acknowledged that was true.  However he added that it did not change the fact that Jaascin’s quick action had saved them from harm.  Jaascin just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.
     The celebration was soon in full swing.  The young Lord was carried into the hall so he could join the celebration.  The feasting and drinking went on late into the night.  However, Jaascin planned to be on his way the next day.
     After saying goodbye to the Duke and Duchess, and being showered with some gifts from them, Jaascin rode out of the castle and headed north.  About a week’s journey would bring him to the capital of the Kingdom through which he would be riding.  He planned on staying there for a while to rest his horses and to gather information as to what lay ahead of him on his trip further north.  He had heard rumors of some trouble in that direction.  Battles had been apparently fought between small Dukes and Lords over territory.  Evil was brewing in that area of the country north of the Kingdom.  Jaascin rode relatively hard the first day to come to a medium sized town with a good inn.
     The proprietor of the inn noted Jaascin’s clothes and his weapons.  Jaascin had rented one of his best rooms.  When Jaascin came down to get some dinner at night, he overheard the proprietor’s wife’s conversation with a local woman.   She was telling this woman her daughter was very ill and the local healer could do nothing for her.  
     Jaascin engaged the proprietor in conversation and asked about the illness from which his daughter was suffering.  The wife soon joined in the conversation.  Jaascin asked if he could see the daughter, as he had acquired a little knowledge about some illnesses and what could be done about them.  The couple quickly agreed to let Jaascin see their daughter. 
     After dining, he was shown to the room where the daughter lay.  Jaascin examined her and asked what the healers had done.  He then said he would get some things from his room and return.  He said he might be able to help, because he seemed to recognize the symptoms as those being helped by some things he happened to have with him.  He made it sound like he heard about these things in his travels.  He returned with a large bag.  He set about preparing some potions, which he was able to give to the girl with the help of the mother.  He then prepared some other potions and salves, which he gave to the mother with specific instructions.  Jaascin said he would look in on the girl in the morning, before he set out on his way.  In the morning, it was obvious the illness had broken.  The girl was smiling and in little pain.  Jaascin gave the mother more instructions and another potion.  The proprietor refused to take Jaascin’s money for the room and the meals. 
     The mother was in awe of this man who just stopped by and had cured their daughter.  This story would be repeated for months to come.  How a very well dressed stranger had offered to cure their daughter.  He of course must be some great wizard or prince or something noble.  He had several wonderful Elven horses and carried two magnificent swords.  He looked like he came from a foreign land, but he spoke the local dialect as well as anyone who lived in the area.  He never asked for any pay and left the next morning.  The story grew with the telling.
     Jaascin continued on his way north.  At the end of the day, he stopped at an inn at the crossroads of two major roads.  It was a good inn that was beginning to fill up.  Jaascin managed to get one of the inn’s best rooms, and made sure his horses were well cared for.  He had arrived here a little early because he had information this inn was used by travelers from many lands.  Here he might pick up some valuable information, from people traveling through.  He tried to do this when traveling through a new area.    
     After he had put his things in his room and put an enchantment on them, he went down to the main room of the inn.  He found a seat at a table where he could see the door and also survey the room.  He kept one of his swords and two of his daggers with him.  A man in a dark cloak, under which Jaascin knew there was a sword, came and sat at a table close by.  He sat there also surveying the room and watching the door, without being obvious about it.  The man had the bearing of one who was used to having authority. 
     A tall man, who was dressed like a nobleman, came in and looked about the room.  Then he started walking toward Jaascin.  The man looked at the sword Jaascin wore. 
     “I have need of a swordsman who is not afraid of danger,” he stated in a voice that implied he was not used to being denied.  Jaascin smiled lazily at him.  His green eyes glowed as he held the gaze of the man. 
     “Because a man carries a sword does not mean he is a swordsman.”  Then Jaascin waved his closed hand and opened it palm up.  There was a scorcerer’s flame in it.  
     “Any more than a man, who can produced sorcerer’s fire means he is a sorcerer.” Jaascin very firmly added, “I am not for hire.”   The man stared at Jaascin’s hand then looked at Jaascin.  He then turned on his heel and strode out of the inn.  The man sitting nearby had a quiet smile on his face.
     Turning to Jaascin he quietly said, “You did that so easily, I would wager you know more than just how to produce sorcerer’s fire.  I would also wager you know how to use that unusual sword very well also.”
     Jaascin turned to the man with a friendly smile.  “I seem to be regularly given strange attributes.  Perhaps it is my sword. I have been told the jewels on it are more deadly than the blade.”
     “That is why I could feel an energy emanating from it,” the man said.  His speech indicated to Jaascin, he was a very well educated man.  He had moved to a table next to the one occupied by Jaascin. 
     Jaascin smiled pleasantly at him.  “The scorcerer’s fire trick did not surprise you a bit.  I would wager you know something about the sorcerer’s art.”
     The man ignored Jaascin’s obvious inquiry.  “I have never seen it produced without a vocal incantation.  You must have great power.”
     “It is not a matter of power,” Jaascin said.  “It is a matter of your belief in your power.  Believe you can produce the phenomena, by thinking the incantation, and you can do it.”
     “That is an interesting concept.  I shall have to try it out.”
     “It is just a matter of belief and practice,” Jaascin stated.   
     About this time, a relatively young woman, dressed in a cloak and carrying a sword, came into the inn.  She stopped and looked around the room.  A smile lit up her face when her eyes lit upon the man who had been talking to Jaascin.  She was tall, slim and relatively attractive, Jaascin noted.  She began walking back toward them.  No man impeded her way.  As she came close, she stopped in surprise and seeming consternation when she saw Jaascin.
     She turned to the man.  “It is dangerous for you to be traveling alone, father.  You have had one attempt on your life.”  The woman again turned her gaze toward Jaascin questioningly.
     “Here I am perfectly safe, daughter.”  Then he turned to Jaascin.  “I would like you to meet my daughter, Lady Zanow.”
     Jaascin quickly rose to his feet, and with a bow said, “It is my great pleasure to meet you, Lady Zanow.  I am called Sir Jaascin Wanilain.  I am a wanderer.”  Then before the lady could say anything, Jaascin added with a friendly smile.  “I would say traveler, but that would not describe my true character.  I am truly a wanderer.”
     Lady Zanow smiled, then she turned to her father.  “Why did you say that you are perfectly safe here.”  Her father turned to face Jaascin.  Surprise registered on her face as she turned to Jaascin.
     Jaascin smiled and shook his head.  “I think your father attributes great powers to me.  I warned him that is a mistake several people have made.”
     Lady Zanow’s father smiled.  “Do for her what you did for Lord Kennard,” he asked Jaascin. 
     Lady Zanow interrupted, “Lord Kennard was here?”
     “He didn’t even notice me.  He saw only Jaascin,” her father told her.  Lady Zanow turned to Jaascin puzzled.  Jaascin raised his hand gave a slight wave then opened it palm up. A flame burned in his hand.  The woman gave a gasp of surprise. 
     “You are a wizard.  That is why father said he was safe here.  But you do not know my father.  Why would you keep him safe?”
     Jaascin did not answer her.  Instead he asked her, “Take your sword out of its scabbard and offer it to me blade first.”  She looked at Jaascin, then did as he had asked. 
     “Now,” said Jaascin, “let go of the hilt.”  Lady Zanow did so and the sword floated in air.  Then it slowly turned until the hilt was pointed toward Jaascin and floated to his hand.  Lady Zanow looked on in total surprise.  Jaascin caused the sword to reverse and float back to Lady Zanow.  She put it back in its scabbard.  She looked at Jaascin, not knowing what to think.  He looked neither like a wizard nor a swordsman.  Yet he seemed to be both.
     Jaascin slipped his sword out of its scabbard.  He pointed it, hilt first toward Lady Zanow.  The jewels in the hilt, were glowing a deep red, when he drew the sword.  He watched with total surprise, as the color of the jewels turned from red to purple and then when the hilt was pointing at Lady Zanow, a cool blue.  He looked at Lady Zanow.  Then he bowed deeply to her. 
     “My lady,” Jaascin said, “the sword is yours.  Reach out your hand and it will come to you.”  She hesitated, then reached out her hand.  The sword floated over and fit into her hand.  She didn’t know what to say.  She was speechless.  The sword was beautiful.  Whoever created it was a great master craftsman.  She could feel the power and energy of the sword as she held it.  She looked at Jaascin.  She was totally confused.
     Jaascin smiled as he removed the scabbard and belt.  Then he moved to place it around Lady Zanow, and removed her old sword. She slipped it into its scabbard as if she were in a dream. 
     “There is a story behind this sword,” Jaascin told them.  “I was given three swords by a powerful old wizard.  He told me the two were for me.  No one else could use them.  The gems in the handle carried great power, but I could use them only for good.  The third sword I could carry and use until it found the person to whom it wanted to belong.  I had almost forgotten the story.  For some reason, I decided to carry that sword this evening.”
     “But you have no sword now,” Lady Zanow protested.  Jaascin smiled and pull back his cloak on other side.  He wore an Elven short sword.  Her eyes again widened in surprise. 
      “Those are fairy gems in the hilt and on the scabbard."  Then she looked at Jaascin, “What manner of man are you?  Or are you not a man?  You have the eyes of an Elf.”
     “I am afraid that I am a mere mortal.”
     “I do not believe that,” the lady said.  Jaascin raised his hands in a sign of surrender.  The lady laughed.  Then she thought and she looked around the room.  No one seemed to be paying any attention to them.  She turned back to Jaascin a question in her eyes.  Jaascin smiled. 
     “No one saw except you and your father.”  Then Jaascin said, “Where are you bound for?”
     Lady Zanow answered.  “My father was on his way to his brother, the Duke of Zeneland.  My brother in league with some of his disreputable friends decided to take over the estate.  Some one did not want father to leave and tried to prevent him from leaving alive.  We do not think it was my brother, but it must have been some of his friends.  I was told of this and I came looking for him.  My husband is dead, and I am running our lands.  I have some very good men.  My brother would not dare threaten me.  Besides, my lands are too far away from his.  There is a powerful Duke and some strong Lords in between.  Father really doesn’t want to live with me, he would feel more comfortable living with his brother.  He did not even want me to know that is where he intended to go.  We would be traveling north from here.”
     “That is the way I am intending to go.  I am heading for the Kingdom to the north of here.  I would be happy to ride with you as far as our paths merge,” Jaascin offered.
     “That would be very kind of you,” Lady Zanow said.  “That would be most of the way.  We can then travel the main road.  It will be faster and easier.  In two days time, we have friends who will be happy to put us up.  Then it will be but a half-day’s ride to where we will strike west.  We will be in very friendly territory then.”
     Jaascin then asked, “And how much farther must you go after delivering your father?”
     Lady Zanow laughed.  “It is but a short days ride to a good friend, then only another days ride to my home.  My uncle will furnish me with an escort to my friend’s home.  Then I will have people riding with me to my home.”
     She then turned to her father.  “Did you get a room in the inn?” she asked.
     Her father looked apologetic. “I did not have the money,” he said.  “I left in too much of a hurry to carry much with me.”
     Jaascin spoke up.  “I have one of the best rooms in the inn.  It has, a separate bedroom, and a bed in the large room.  You can have the separate bedroom, my lady.  Your father can use the bed in the large room.  I plan for camping along the way.  Therefore I can improvise.  Allow me to be of service to you, Lady Zanow.  It would please me greatly.”
     The lady looked at her father.  “It seems we have no other option but to accept your fine offer, Sir.  We are deeply indebted to you.”
     Jaascin then invited the lady and her father to join him for dinner.  They arranged so all three of them could sit with their backs to the wall.  The father maneuvered his daughter between he and Jaascin.  The young woman began to relax.  She proved pleasant company for the meal and as they enjoyed a drink or two after the meal. 
     They were up early the next morning and on their way.   Jaascin attached them to a group of merchants who had some guards with them.  Jaascin got them rooms at the inn that night.  The following night they were guests at the estate of friends of Lady Zanow.  Her friends were very interested in Jaascin.  Especially, because he had three, beautiful Elven horses, carried two magnificent swords and had the eyes of an elf, but had no other prominent Elven characteristics.  Jaascin told them he was a vagabond who traveled the world.  He entertained them that night at dinner, with tales of his travels.  He again revealed little of himself in these tales.  The Lady and her father did not tell anyone they had seen evidence Jaascin was a wizard.  Actually Lady Zanow was sure he had great knowledge of such arts.  However, she saw no reason to be afraid of him.
     The trip was uneventful, but pleasureful for Jaascin.  Lady Zanow was a good horsewoman, and very pleasant company.  In addition, she supplied him with information and some insight into this region.  She even had very good information on the Kingdom and the King that he was sure would prove valuable to him.  
     When they left Jaascin, he was about two and half day’s journey from the main city of the Kingdom.  He would camp the first night, then stay at another inn at the intersection of two main roads the following night.  He was able, to find a clearing in a woods only a short distance from the road, where he could camp.  He set a spell around his camp that would warn him if anyone came near.  It proved to be a peaceful night.  He was on his way early in the morning.
















Chapter Seven
     Later that morning, he caught up with a group of clerics traveling to the Inn.  They were going to go west from there.  The head of the group engaged Jaascin in conversation, asking him about the lands he had traveled.  Jaascin was able to get much good information from him.  The man was obviously well informed. 
     The information made Jaascin plan to be on his way very early in the morning.  There were some plots afoot to try to destabilize the Kingdom.  Apparently the King was both a strong and a fair King.  He had been able to keep the area relatively peaceful.  This did not serve the plans of some.  That night Jaascin determined someone was going to be in danger on the road he was to travel.  He did not know who, but he thought he might see if he could be of some assistance.  Things so far had been relatively peaceful and quiet on his trip north.  He wouldn’t mind a little excitement.
     He was on the road very early and stopped for a noonday meal at a roadside inn.  He learned a princess and her companions had left only a short time before.  She had only a token guard with her.  That might be the person who could be in danger.  He did not loiter over lunch but quickly got on the road again and set off at a fast pace.  He had gone about an hour and a half when he heard sounds of a battle just over a rise in the road.  He left his pack animals to follow and set off at a gallop.  He readied his Elven bow. 
     As he crested the hill, he saw a band of brigands attacking the princess’s party.  He sent two shots at the brigands as soon as he was in range and then pulling both his swords he attacked the robbers.  He quickly dispatched four men with his swords.  He had caught them off guard and he killed them before they could fully recover.  He threw a dagger at the man trying to pull the princess off

No comments:

Post a Comment